Canton Lake - Need a recent fishing report! Want to catch catfish!

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Duzy, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Can anyone give me a receint report on Canton? I will be heading up there next week. I have heard that it was fished out not long ago, but is making a come back????? Also heard that it is a good walleye and crappie lake. Any tips or good spots would be much appreciated.

Duzy

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    DUZY- I do not know where you heard that Canton was fished out but that is not true. For channels drift the NW/c or the submerged islands. Just look for the other boats to find the islands. The crappie can be found probably on the marked brush piles. The lake is wind swept but a good fishing lake for cats,crappie, walleye and hybrids.

catman george

3. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks Catman George. I am glad to hear that the "fished out" stuff is just a rumor. We will be doing a good bit of jug fishing, and some crappie and walleye fishing. Do you know how to fish the walleye?

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes......... You can buy nightcrawler harnesses at Bass Pro Shop in the walleye area and be sure to get chartreuse or blaze orange blades. You can also use a carolina rig and use 3-4" perch for bait and drift the islands for walleye and cats. The NW corner of the lake generally has good action on channels as well as the dam. The dam is normally loaded with channels and flatties. Use cut shad or perch for bait on your jugs. There are 2 marked brush piles on the dam, I think, and they hold crappie. The Canadian arm has 400 yards of marked brush piles which holds crappie during the winter. This info should get you some fish.

Catman George

5. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks Catman George, I'll be heading there tomorrow.

Duzy

6. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A finer fishery is hard to find. Awesome fishing on the North end and below the dam when the water is running.

7. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The crappie are alive and well at Canton. The fish are averaging 12" - 14". I fished there yesterday. My partner and I caught 32 crappie and 7 channels to 5 pounds. A good morning outing. We quit before noon.

catman george

8. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Canton is one of the few places a fisherman can go to in Oklahoma to catch Channels exclusively. Unless something has changed in the past couple of years, there are no blues in Canton.

It is indeed, a great crappie lake. For a real hoot, wade the north shore in late April or early May, and catch crappie from the cattails and brush. Just dip a minnow or jig right in front of you in waist-deep or shallower water, and watch out. I caught a 5 lb. channel that way once. On three feet of line, the water just explodes.

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are blues in Canton, but not many.

catman george

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Catman,

What bait did you catch the crappies and channels on? Any info on where you caught them from or what you were doing? I have been wanting to go to Canton lake this whole year, but haven't made it. Also, do you think you'll need a partner anytime soon??:big_smile:

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The crappie were caught on minnows and the channels were caught on small pieces of cut shad. They were caught from the bank on the canadian arm. We were using slip corks set at 13'.

catman george

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Do you ever need a partner?? If so, let me know because I am still trying to learn, and would love to go with someone that has had good success!