Cantalope ?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by fishnfwl, Aug 20, 2008.

1. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    OK, lope's are doing very well this year, so I go out to check some of them this evening and the side down is gone and nothing but a shell :angry: 3-4 days earlier they were solid as rock and looking very good, now the entire insides have rotted away I guess??, just a perfect looking "shell" left behind. Any ideas on this????

2. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Are you sure it wasn`t just a shell the whole time ??? Did you check it on the bottom too ??? LOL !!!

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes DanO! They were fine and then I think you came sneakin by and cut the bottoms out for breakfast! :smile2:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    racoons:big_smile:

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well that was a thought, but they are setting upright on the missing part? and the seeds and very little else is left in a pile, as if they have just rotted out in the matter of a few days, which I guess they could, but just can't figure what would cause this.....

6. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    Skunks will do that. They eat a hole in the bottom and clean the inside out.

7. Angieaz

Angieaz New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    I have had some ripe melons go south fast in hot, humid weather. It is almost as if a yeast got to them and they fermented on the vine. Nothing left but the seeds and foamy slime.

8. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Put a steel trap out in the melon patch and you will know in the morning.