Can't wait to catch me a yella!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kat in the hat, Feb 12, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dangit winter is starting to drag! Just wanna go fishin'. About the first good, warm rain in April, and I bet them flatties will be chompin' at the bits. That's when they started biting last year. Talked to a guy at the boat ramp, and he couldn't believe that we were catching flats. Said he lived nearby, and they don't even start attempting to catch em 'till early June. Didn't know they could be caught until the water gets to 'blah, blah degrees. Whatever I say. That first good warm rain wakes up all fishes I think. That's what I'm looking foreward too. Prolly will start fishing in March, but I'm guessing middle of April will be productive....hopefully.

Anyways, I'm just rambling. Haven't posted in this area for a while. Don't really have any subject matter, but who's itchin' to catch ya a yella, and when do you suspect to begin?

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i thought down here in texas was the only place that called them yellow cats. when i travel most people only call them flatheads. april is when we do best on yellows also.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Matt, good luck in the 08 season whenever it starts in your neck of the woods. Hope ya catch a HAWG!!

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I generally call them flatheads. Yella cat does roll off the tongue easy though.:big_smile: Plus, I am a transplant from the DEEP south.:wink:

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good luck bro hope you catch your first flathead this year,.

6. ABrodburner

ABrodburner Guest

Yeah I second that. Cant wait to get after them flats. Or anything desperate enough to bite my hook :confused2: Well keep me posted with updates on ur sucess im headin to lacygne ks next week for some flats and what not goin to be fun i rekon. Any time me and ctfishsctty get together its fun. EXCEPT for when the law gets involved. WOW still tryin to recover for that one. Can i get an amen scotty! Good luck and good fishin:wink:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am with you....rain or not as soon as its warm enough fer me I am on the river.............

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    been calling them yellow cats for 65 years and soon as the water warms im gonna catch one.i hope

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good Luck when you get to get out! I'll be ready to hit it soon as my back is better. I've got cabin fever badly!!!:wink::smile2:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree bro. im waiting for april too!

11. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    April can't come quick enought as far as I'm concerned! First full season with a boat so I'm excited two fold!

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Man, I hear you bro~! I'm dying over here in the cold! Really anxious to hit the water this year, one problem though. Baby mom left me and sold all of my equip to her brothers, so ill have to start from scratch. Small price to pay to get rid of that baggage,you'd know if you've read some of my past posts.

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    That's rutheless!!! Hope ya get some gear together before it warms up!

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have bought alot of new gear, and I'm itching to use it.
    Winter is taking to long to pass. :crazy:

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'll be out there once the water gets a little over 50 degrees.

16. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I hear ya. We're all waiting for it to warm up a bit.

This time of year "normal" people are probably dreaming of turquoise waters lapping at coral sand beaches, tropical drinks with pineapple, ...

Me? I'm dreaming of a warm night, kicking back with a beer and watching the rod tips silouetted against the stars, waiting for that twang as a rod bends over double and line starts to peel off the drag...

I'll be out in March for sure. My biggest problem is catching a good weather day and getting the river stabilized enough so I can catch some good live baits.

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I lost the big one last year Ill get him this year.

18. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like all of us flathead hunters have got cabin fever. We are looking at a -10 degree night tonight with a high tomorrow of 7 degrees. I've got 2 feet of ice on my favorite flathead spot. I hear you guys talk about fishing in March and the ice probably won't be off my flathead water until April. These long winter sure do make you appreciate the summer time.

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Did you notice that most of the flathead crowds' avatar pics are taken at night - with the dark background?

That's the way. Just the way I like it!

20. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yup, and I ain't puttin' up another flathead avatar until I catch a big enough one this spring. Gives me a new goal lol. I do love seeing all those huge flatties in everybody's avatars though!!!