Can't wait till spring

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Dec 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't wait till I see the gar at the surface again. I haven't seen one in a while since it has been getting colder. Gar are my #2 favorite fish to catch. It is fun, exciting and challenging. When I see the big one sitting in front of me, I bait up and cast my cut bait right in front of its snout. I never know if that hook will snag him or if he will spit it out. Sometimes they are throat hooked, and I cut the line hoping they will live. Man they are fun, that's why they are my #2 favorite.

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I too have a fascination with gar and one of my dreams is to catch a decent sized alligator gar. I also want to catch a longnose or spotted gar about 5 -10 lbs and eat it. Around here there are a lot of 2-3 lbers, but not too many with size. If you have some big'ns , I'ld sure visit to help you.
    Have rod - will travel Hannibal Mike

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The average weight of longnose where I fish is 3-8 lbs by estimation. I have seen one or two that might have topped 10. I'm with you on the alligator goal - that's mine too. tight lines...

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    dude I CANNOT WAIT until the water warms!!! Flyfishing or normal fishing spotted gar is AWESOME!!! Once you hook one they will jump at least 5 times and up to 2 feet out of the water!

Also I think i'm gettin a small outboard for Christmas, so I'll be able to go up and down the river here and find schools of longose; also most likely get to some alligator gar...:big_smile: There are many HUGE ones down here (6 footers are common!!!), but I've yet to go after them, as the ones I wanted to go after were on a private pond which I got permission to go, but never did or had the right tackle.:sad2:

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That's awesome, wish there were alligator gar where I fish. Not sure where to find them in TN. Wish I was getting an outboard or at least a trolling motor, that would be great. Hope you have a great year of fishing, and let us know what you catch.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you ever find your way out to the east coast I've got a couple of spots where we go and 5-12lb fish are nearly every cast! That's why we fish them on light or ultralight gear. We call them freshwater marlin. Seeing a 4' long gar come tailing out of the water....AMAZING!

7. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I remember the first time I hooked into one with a Rebel Crankbait. That think came flying up our of the water and scared me to death, he threw the bait on the jump. It was in the Uwharrie river.

8. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    For a better hook up, tie 10 inches of unravelled nylon twine above your hook. Use a large float with lots of slack in the line. Watch the float disappear and when all the slack is gone pull back. The twine raps around the snout and you never have to set the hook.

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish the tenn river and have caught several between 10-20lbs.I have not fished for them exclusivley but caught them while catfishing. They were all caught using cut bream on a three way swivel system. Hope this helps.Also have noticed that all there barrow pits near levees are teaming with smaller 2-5lbers. Super fun on the end of your line! A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.