Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

cant wait till spring turkey

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeremy Sheffey 
#1 ·
I can't wait till spring turkey season comes again, is anyone with me?

#3 ·
i working on finding a job that will pay me by the hour to hunt and fish. then the ol' lady couldnt complain about it at all.

#6 ·
we can use cross bow's in the fall here. it give's you an added few weeks to hunt them more like shotgun hunting. i think i may get one just for that. ive not killed one while "turkey" hunting in the fall with my bow, but this year i will be giving it a real try. spring is so much more exciting though, i like to stalk them and give chase.

#7 ·
Last year was the first year I really did any serious turkey huntin. I'd been with my brother-n-law a couple times the year before, but just to watch. I wasnt in the lease he hunted on, but just beening there was enough to get me interested. I got in the lease this year, and hunted everyday I was home(i work offshore 7 and 7). I hunted over in an area not to many people were hunting, and those birds drove me nuts! I thought it was just cause I didn't really know much about turkey huntin, but after the season was almost over I talked to some of the other turkey hunters and they said the reason they didn't hunt over there was because the birds in that area were to hard to work. I finally got me one over there and it was a dandy. It had a 10 and 3/4 inch beard and 1 and 5/16 inch spurs. I believe I am gonna still hunt the same area this year, because he has a twin with an even thicker beard over there that i didnt tell those other boys about, plus I believe I learnt alot more huntin those hard to kill birds than the dummy's on the other side of the lease that come to any and every call! I believe I'd rather turkey hunt that anything else there is to do outdoors(unless i can talk my wife into gettin a little crazy in the woods:wink:) Cant wait till spring

#8 ·
where im from in ky, from what i have heard is some of the toughest turkeys to hunt in north america. my best friend hunts turkeys all over and he said that when he came to hunt with me it was the hardest hunt he had been on that you could hear and see birds. there are lots of birds they are just very skeptical of a call and very untrusting of everything they see. like him and i have talked after you hunt and kill in area's like this everywhere else seems a little boring. so you can take that for what it is. the way i see it you and i are very lucky to hunt places that are challenging instead of easy. it makes us the better hunters in the end.

#9 ·
sometimes if I'm hunting a hard area that I know birds are in I go up. yes up dont over estimate the power of the climbing stand for turkey hunting. there is an area I hunt that the birds just seem to know if something is on the hill they will walk around and if nothings on it they walk right on over. kild a few from a tree stand. and its not just me I have used my G-30 ground blind and had deer come and look in it while I was in it and the birds still know its not right and walk around.:roll_eyes:

#10 ·
interesting, i have never thought of trying that. however i have had troubles the last two springs with spooky birds that are just flat out hard to get in. i will def try that next spring. thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.