cant understand circal

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, May 31, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i use both the gamma 8 ot and kaels, them gammas wont hookup, and kaels always do, so why are circals preferd wen they act identical,

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    The hook that you are more familiar with and have better success with should be your preferred hook. It doesn't matter what someone else prefers, it comes down to your experience and own personal success.

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I agree you need to use what is working for you.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I'm guessing the most mis-understood part of using circle hooks is, you're not supposed to set the hook at all. Just keep even pressure and start reeling the fish in. The gap on the Kahle hooks, allows the angle to set the hook, but a true circle hook should never be set when the fish takes the offering. I found out the hard way too when I first started using circle hooks, but after trial-and-error, I soon discovered the hook up rate increasing and now use them religiously!! I only use them for cut-bait applications and sometimes drifting when in the boat. When using braided line, this can get tricky, so I slowly lift the rod and keep pressure and 9 times out of 10, it's fish on!! Don't jerk or set hard!!

Hope this helps.

as always, go with the best setup your familiar with and like! For me I like to experiment at times. Makes it interesting!!!

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not ready to give up circals for bluecats yet, there not for flatheads in my book they slip right out, wen using live bait, them kaels load that rod and sthemselvs but i set them after there on, l,uck on gammas, i did get one 20 pounder in last year on one, but i dont have luck, and i should, look at the poll om hooks

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake....when you use circle hooks are you using a clicker or tightlining?
    I tightline without the clicker and my hook-up is almost 100% now. The fish takes the bait....loads up the rod.....hooks himself usually. I do still miss an occasional fish but not as many as I used too.:cool2:

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Also when baiting a circle hook be sure and leave plenty of the tip exposed... if you don't when the cat takes the bait the bait can block the hook set.

8. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have been using 8/0 circle hooks for a little over two years and I had my one and only miss this past Sunday night. I fought him for over 10 minutes and withing 12 feet of the bank, the hook came out, so it was not the hook up, but poor luck on my part.

Rod holders are a must with circles, just let the rod set the hook and boom!
    I even use them for gills and bellys.

I also snell every hook too. I don't think anybody asked that yet, that might help out the hook up ratio a bit.:wink: