Can't..take it..anymore...

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kumedrt, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kumedrt

kumedrt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can't take it anymore....it's almost March....and all I can do is think about catfishing. At least three times a day I think how I can improve my game and technique on the lakes this summer. Two years ago, I never even had an interest in fishing, muchless spending nights on the bank of a lake just to get skunked. But now, going into my third year of catfishing, all I can think about is the anticipation and the fight brought on by attempting to land Mr. Whiskers....what have I become?!?!?! Hello, my name is Mike, and I am a catfisherman (kinda like an A.A. meeting)

Anyways, let me get to the point. This will be my first year catfishing from a boat. Does anybody have recommendations on where to have the maiden voyage? Over the last few years, I've frequented Middle Creek, Hillsdale, and La Cygne. I've always had luck fishing from the rocks at middle creek and under the dam at hillsdale. And, well, to be honest, I dont believe there are any fish in La Cygne!

Previously, my biggest cat has been a 15 lb channel out of Killcreek lake. (yeah, I know, 15 lb is weak, but I'm still learning everytime I go out)

Here's to a great summer! Let the games begin!!

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Welcome to BOC Mike, you have taken the first step in recognizing you have a problem(catfishing fever). We are here to help you cure yourself of this wonderful disease.;) You have just joined the best catfishing site on the net and someone will be along shortly to get you well on your way to recovery.:)

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike are you talking about Kill Creek Lake in Olathe?

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    In La Cygnes there are a ton of fish in that lake, my father-in-law has caught some large cats out of the lake, I believe the biggest one that he caught was about 40lbs or so, talk with some of the local to get the scoop on the fishing at the lake i.e. where there biting, kinds of baits, depth etc... The discharge is great for winter fishing.

Chris

5. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey, welcome aboard. No more need to worry It's going to be nice this week. Hey the guys on here can put you on some big boys. You should can hang out at the Kaw or Mo with us sometime along with the lakes. Glad you're aboard.

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Welcome to the BOC, Mike.

7. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the BOC Mike.

I am in about the same situation you are in, I got my new boat last year after being without one for several years. I use to fish for catfish but caught some generally, but never really did good. This year I plan to make it better.

This site has a lot of info in the forums and in the library. Enjoy!

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. For a maiden voyage, I might suggest Hillsdale like you said, if you live close to it. A guy that I know has caught flatheads all the way up to 80 pounds out of there, and some channels that tipped the scales at around 30 if I remember correctly. Im not sure if there are any blue cats in it, so if thats what youre after you may want to try milford. There are some convenient boatramps at Hillsdale, and there is a lot of submerged timber (great for crappie too) since the land was flooded over when they put the dam in.

:0a26:

9. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hi Mike and welcome to the BOC. I used to live in Kansas and have heard great things about Hillsdale. I've fished La Cygne a couple of times in the fall by the hot water outlet. Its quite a walk to it but there are fish there. Good luck to ya and let us know how ya do.

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well congrats and hope this is a great season for you. Remember the plugs or your fist voyage may be like the Titanics. Trust me I speak from experience. I have even had one pull out. If that happens dont panic. Just start the motor and hammer it. The water will drain out as you run. I found I put the plug in from the inside so if it somehow falls out I can find it and put in back in.

My inlaws fish Cyne occasionally. I think your best bet is to see if you can get a lake map and not stucture. Also like others have stated, ask questions. The local game officer or bait shop can usually be of great help. Enjoy you time and take a young un or two with you if possible.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Cathunter 1978 and I went to LaCygne today. We didn't do so hot only 1 small channel cat and 3 small white bass. But We did see in one boat a guy caught 'bout a 10-15 lb flathead and a 9lb bass. Saw some other fish caught as well but i don't think anyone was tearin 'em up today!

12. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome Mike to the BOC. I'm pretty new here but have read and learned a great deal. I live right close to La Cygne and to be real honest have not met many locals. Have not lived here but 3 years or so and have been fishing smaller lakes around here for the last several years. My back ground is mostly with channel cats. My Grandpa always said was the best eating. so thats what we fished for. Now I'm looking for bigger Whiskers. All I can say is. WE NEED TO GO FISHING. :007:

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best site on the net!

14. Jayhawkguy

Jayhawkguy New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow, I feel the same why. I still remember my second year catfishing and it sounds like that. Since then I have spent way too much on fishing, a new boat, all kinds of gear and looking at buying some more poles this weekend at cabelas. I have been catfishing since 2000. Good luck this year guys. I cant wait.

15. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Is Fishin In Kansas 12 Months Or Is There A Cut Off Time? I Am New To Fishin And Want To Catch Some Cats In Ks. And Have Ample Places To Fish??????????/

Kirk

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    We fish all year long on Milford Lake, except when it's frozen over, which it does on occasion. Last couple years, it might freeze for a week or two, than thaw out.