Cant seem to Hook big fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by DensSang, Apr 3, 2006.

1. DensSang

DensSang New Member

State:
    Illinois
    when i fish for Flats i use whole bluegill. I hook them close to the top dorsal and i cant seem to hook the better fish when they make a good run on me. Any tips to solve this problem?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Is the hook big enough so that plenty of the point is exposed and not gettin buried in the bait?

3. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    What kind of hook are you using? I use a 6/0-8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook and have never had a problem.

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I give them a little longer time with a bluegill before I will jerk. If I were fishing for channel with shad, I'll jerk once I feel them slightly pull. If I'm using a big bluegill, I'll give them 10 to 15 seconds to run with it. I don't use any more weight than I need either, so they don't notice it if they run. I probably use too little of weight most times, but I like to have it slowly bounce down the river stream. Why wait for the fish to find it when you can bounce it to them.

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I also have been having the same issues and I am pretty sure it is related to the hook I have been using I'm pretty sure that the gap is not wide enough for the bait that is used. I've been using shad cut and whole and hooking them through the eyes and the fish will have it for a few seconds and he's gone and he did not leave me with my bait. For all that trouble he could at least have left my bait!:mad: