Can't seem to catch any panfish in trap...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by youngun, Jun 20, 2007.

1. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    So I bought a panfish trap from Acadmey sports like a really long time ago, and never really used it cause I never needed the bait. Well, now I can't seem to get any fish now that I have set it out. I have put it in a small creek in a slow moving pool about two and a half feet deep. I baited it with dry dog food and check it three times a day. Got nothing. I see panfish all around it, but none in it. Hmm... what the @#*&!?!?

2. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Hey Cameron, put some dark screen on top of the trap. I don`t know what type of trap you have but perch like something to be under, where they feel safe. I had the same problem. If you can put it under a tree limb, that works good too.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Try putting it in a pond with no moving water. I have seen the trap that you have, I built 1 that I found here that is vary similar to the 1 you have. I have had very good luck with it in ponds but I have never tryed it in moving water.

4. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    o.k., thanks for the tips guys

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    instead of dog food try using bread or corn in your traps. i know that small baitfish will go after bread over anything else. we used to do the same type thing but wil ultra light rods and the smallest hooks we could get. it was actually quite a bit of fun, but we always used bread for bait and would always catch them