cant save

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catoon, Jul 20, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have noticed after working and paying bills and being broke for 25 years now that i have some money i cant save it for crapp.i reckon i will just get some more bills to pay . any one else have this problem?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't have a problem saving ,its having extra to save where I have trouble:wink: I get paid every two weeks,I'm lucky to have 50.00 left over after the bills are paid,Thats before groceries,I just do the best I can. :cool2:

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Same here Ricard. I basically live pay check to pay check. I guess I am luck to have a job:wink:

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Paycheck to paycheck here too. But life goes on.

5. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know I do. Win you get fired it not fun

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yep...much harder to do than say...seems like every time I come into a little cash, it means there's a household catastrophe heading my way that will cost roughly the equivalent of the cash I've come into...which is why when ever I do come into a little cash, I spend it immediately on fishing stuff to head off the impending catastrophe :smile2:

7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    that's why you need to be the owner

8. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    i know that my husband and i barley make ends come together every pay check..especally with 2 kids, a dog, and a cat. but thats life now a days...

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Everyone says thats life nowadays. It was life back when also. Don't live beyond your means. Knock off the eatin out. Don't get the new whatever if ya already have one. Make a budget and stick to it. Set up a four week system to pay your bills. Takein out enough each week so that at the end of 4 weeks ya got enough to pay the bill. And guess what. If ya get paid weekly and ya stick with the system there are months that ya get paid 5 times. :wink: It ain't hard. Discipline is the key. It will work if ya give it a chance. :wink:

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    same here , payday to payday sometimes i'll pick up a side job then life is good lol yeah right someone always has their hand out if it wasnt for my wife taking care of the bills etc i'd be in the poor house for sure

11. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I had that problem too, I got laid off a month ago, I convinced my wife we needed to pull money form my IRA to pay off all our bills. After paying off as may cards and making arrangements with the big ones, we are in a good place, not a great place, here are some tips that may help.
    1. if you don't need that credit card call the company and see if they have a payment schedule, it will kill the card. I did this with 4 cards, one card is 50 a month at 2%, another is only 10 a month at the same 2% while another card is only 21 with 0% fore 60 months, in total we cleared out $400 a month,
    2. Pay down your high rate bills first.
    3. electric bills are easy get on a average billing cycle,( they take the cost of period of billing and average it out) this will level out your monthly out lay of high costs in winter and high cost in summer.
    4. This one takes a little thought, Use your IRA ( i know thats is for my retirement) Think of it this way what good will it be if you are working till your 80, get all your smaller bills add them up and pull a draw, add 20% on top of that for the government,
    5. Car loans, and house payments, most companies will offer deferments of payments for up to three months. take advantage of this, that monthly payment cash may make all the difference.
    6. this one hurts the most, once you get all the bills paid off or down don't use your cards, use cash only. if you don't have it don't use it. Buying something because of depression will get you into that trap again.

I hope this helps. Jeff

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  12. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    if only it was that easy. its hard to actually set a budget especally with gas prices going up and down, up and down, you cant really budget how much gas will be used. Life wouldnt be so bad if gas prices would go back down to something reasonable. Ive noticed we can do so much more when they are around $1.75 or lower.

13. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Money whats that??? :sad2::eek:oooh:

14. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas

:smile2::smile2::smile2:Wouldnt it be somthing if money did actually grow on trees?

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The answer is in BG's post.
    I fully agree with the three main points.
    Don't live beyond your means.
    Make a budget and stick to it.
    Discipline is the key.

Some of you sounds just like our kids... I've heard this for years..."if they ever get a job that pays enough they will start saving". They said that 20 years ago... today both are making good money and save nothing! They live from payday to payday. We tried to teach them, "it's not what you make, it's how you manage what you make". But we failed.

Wife and I always saved. We had a budget, she keep account of where every dollar was being spent and saved. (we still have some of those old notebooks) We did without many things that our friends had but we always manage to save a little come payday. The company started a savings plan, they would match 50 cents on the dollar up to 8% of our wages. I heard lots of my buddies say they couldn't afford to get in the plan. Well, I said I will be putting every cent allowed even if we have to cut out some groceries! Also those same guys would refuse overtime so they could go to the lake on days off or so they could lay around the house and drink beer. I never in my life turned down an hour of overtime. The boss knew if he called on a day off, Christmas Day or what ever, I'd come a running.
    And you know what, today those same guys are not enjoying retirement like I am. :wink:

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Gas prices here are $2.65:angry:

17. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since I've lived in TN( 3 1/2 years) I've been able to save a little over 5 grand..It sure aint easy..Most of it came from unexpected sources like bonuses or income tax returns..Anytime I get a lil extra money I put it away..What was the difference??I took over the finances from my wife..She's a good woman and all but she used to go hang out with my sister in law and her aunt and they spend money like its a hobby..My wife always got caught up in that crap.Anyways here lately though I have not been able to save as much as they have cut my hours at work and suspended most of the bonus programs and overtime..Guess I'm lucky to still have a job.Another blessing from the good lord..Theres alway something coming up though when you own a house,2 vehicles, a boat and 2 kids..Not to mention a bunch of other things to maintain.Some people make it sound so easy to save but I'm here to tell as a person with experience it is not easy at all..

18. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Every time I try to go my money tree it dies:sad2::smile2::eek:oooh:

19. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    They say "You spend whatever you make"? I do anyways...If I have leftovers from my check i'm at the baitshop buying extra sinkers and circles!:wink:

20. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    good to see im not the only one lol