Can't pull Compound.....Crossbow ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by FishMan, Sep 29, 2006.

1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I thought I might like to bow hunt and never have so I went to a friend to check out his bow. I have a degenerative connective tissue disease and didn't know if I could even use a compound bow. I can not. Tried a 60 # and I could tell after a few inched that I could pull it all the way but if I did I would pay for doing so. I didn't.
    The pull I did put into it has bothered my shoulder for 3 days. I am now wondering about a cross bow as they are legal in Tennessee. Can anyone pass on anything they know to give me a little guidance. How about cost, do you really need to spend over 500 dollars for a crossbow. If I new I would really get into it then I wouldn't mind spending to get top gear but I sure don't like the idea of jumping in over my head.

Thanks Danny

2. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Danny,

I bought one from walmart, a horton, something like 175-225 dollars. It was awsome, I could hit the bottom of a beer can with it. I personally never kill anything with it, but the guy I sold it to killa doe with a double lung shot first time out with it. He said she dropped right in her tracks. They have a foot holder on it where you put your foot and pull with both hands to cock it, or they have a thing you can buy and you just turn it and it cocks it with out any strain. I hope this helps..

Glenn

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes they are legal in Tn for anyone to use one now. Until this year you had to have a doctor fill out a form to use one.
    But not now.
    Make sure you try any crossbow before buying. AS a 150 lb + cross bow can be a hand full to load also.
    If you can swing it look at the ones with a crank built into them. Or theres a string that goes over the butt down to the string and make pulling the string about half or less.
    Good luck. And you know you have missed a week of hunting. :big_smile: And please practice with it a while before trying to hunt with one.

Pete

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I feel for you and wish you the best of luck Danny.I use to grab something and it moved.Now I have the strength of a small child.Talk about frustration.Please be careful and don;t get yourself in a bind when you are alone somewhere.I find that easy to do when you won;t give up.Luck,peewee-williams

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Danny, You bet. There ain't nothing wrong with using a crossbow. A lot of archery shops will have an indoor range and will let you shoot different ones and help you get into one that will work for you. You can spend big bucks on one but they also make models that us good ol boys can afford to.

Do whatever you can to experience what bow hunters experience. There ain't nothing like it.

st

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys. I believe I will check out dealer. I also got to think of what Pete said about our season already being under way so I think I may slow down. I would rather take my time, get the right product for me and spend time using it. I don't like the idea of hunting with something I haven't gained experience with. I'll see, our season last until Jan 15 I think and that is fair time, maybe it could happen this year.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes there are nice and a bit easier to stay sharp on. They do have cocking devices also.

I ue a "Hunter".

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I tore a muscle in my back a few years ago and went to a crossbow. I have a PSE 150 lb pull and it has a loop on it for your foot and I can cock it with both arms without having to use my back to pull with. I have killed quite a few deer and a turkey with it.There are a lot of models and prices out there so don't let a bad back stop you from enjoying the things you love to do.

9. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I dont have the time it takes to do everything you need to do to get a compound ready, so I just load my horton crossbow in the truck and go hunting. luv it.:cool2:

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    A friend of mine in AL. got a Horton crossbow back when you had to be disabled & killed many deer with it. He has since bought a much more expensive one but hasn't killed any more deer with it than the one that costs less.

They are now legal to use w/o a disability requirement but since I can still pull my coumpound back, I'll still use it for now.

If I were you, I'd get one & go hunting:big_smile: I wish you the best of luck:smile2:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm getting encouragement here, Thanks, Maybe I don't need that much practice. I am going to look around.

12. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    horton makes a real good crossbow.they also make cocking devices to limit the strain on your body.you can mount a scope on it so once you get it sighted in you dont have to practice very much.

13. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You need to check with your local conservation to see if they are legal to hunt with in Illinois you have to have a specail permit to hunt with a crossbow you have to your doctor fill out this special form saying that you have a medical condition to were you cant pull back a bow such as a bad shoulder then you get a permit to hunt with a cross bow...I would say you dont want to go with the cheapest crossbow...You get what you pay for but you dont have to buy the best.