can't get right (BARTLET)

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by geter done gee, Jul 29, 2008.

1. geter done gee

geter done gee New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i was out at bartlet this past weekend had 4 good runs but did not hook into any whay is it im doing wrong. i'm using both a #4 circle hook and #4 octupus hook with blue gill. any info would be great. :crazy:

2. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Ron, those hooks your using are to small first of all. I use 6/0-10/0 circles, 7/0-10/0 kayles, on a slip rig. The weights I use are from 2oz-4oz depending on the size of your bait. If you use circles most of the time ''let your rod load up and then start reeling they hook themselves. :wink:

:0a26:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree a 4 is awfull small hook for live bait i would jump up to a 8 .

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I agree as well.
    I will use 6/0 through 12/0 hooks..
    * Those small circle hooks will work well using night crawlers for channel cats..

5. geter done gee

geter done gee New Member

State:
    Arizona
    all i had was small blue gill, on my runs i never had a chance to set the hook, i let the run go for about a solid 6 seconds i would go to set the hook but the fish was not there. should i be concerned with the size hook with small blue gill (3inch blue gill), and how long should i let the run go before trying to set the hook.Thanks

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    If you are using a small gill on a circle hook.. I would not let the fish run at all.. Tight line the rig so the circle hook can do the work for you... If you set the hook using a circle... You will miss them every time..
    ~A