Cant get my motor to run right

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by daniel-delarosa, Sep 25, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    It is a 1985 Mariner 50hp. It hasn't run right since I got it...two weeks ago. I just kitted the carbs, new fuel filters, new fuel line and the gas tank is spotless. It will start up fine, idles a bit rough though. When I give it full throttle, is kinda bogs down. I cant even get on a plane. Any suggestions?

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would start with the basics to go ahead and clear them up, spark and compression test on every cylinder. I am kind of dealing with the same problem, but my will run like a scolded dog for about 20 seconds at WOT and then die. Have you done spark and compression test yet? Kind of sounds like you may be dropping a cylinder.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Be a good idea to post your compression numbers so everyone and especially bubbakat can get a better idea of where you are at.

4. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    I fell the best way to get it fix, is to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I belive the saying is you can pay me now or you can pay me later.. How much have you spent and still dosen't work???

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    check ignition coils

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Also you said you kitted the carbs, are you 100% you set the float levels right? Did the kit come with new floats?

7. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Checking the compression would be the first step for me which has been stated in a pervious post. Once you verify all cylinders are at reasonable levels, and they are all within 10 to 15% of each other, then you can start checking other things. If the compression is good, then most other things are somewhat fixable without a major repair. Reasonable levels depends on the motor, but typicaly 110 psi or better should be fine ok. If you are dipping down to 90 or so, or are uneven between cylinders, you may have bigger problems. It would be worth a de-carb to try to get some compression back before you tear it down.

I would check the ignition system and timing to verify they are correct would be my next step since that would be the easist for me. If you do not have a manual, I would buy one right away. You may be able to get a Seloc or other brand and get by for now if you cannot afford a service manual for your specific model, which gets a little pricey. I just bought a Seloc on ebay for 30 after expideted shipping, the engine specific service manual was 75.

Lastly, move to the fuel system. One check to try would be to pump the primer bulb while you are moving. If the engine runs better while you are pumping the primer bulb, you may have a weak fuel pump, not keeping enough fuel flow to the carbs under a load. If it idles rough, you may need to adjust the idle screws a little which is much easier and accurate with a tach.

One mistake I have made is to try to adjust the carb with water muffs in the backyard. The adjustments must be made on the water with a load on the motor. My last advice would be to check the impeller and water pump. This won't affect your current problem, but it is an often over looked piece that needs to be replaced every couple of years to prevent major damage.

hope this helps a little and good luck

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'll go along with the pay me now or pay me later philosophy. BUT, I darn sure won't pay until I am convinced that it is something I can't fix myself. Most repairs on an outboard can be made by the owner and a good manual. There is no sense to pay a shop a few hundred dollars to do what I could do for myself. Get a book and read it. It will pay for itself.

9. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Amen to that!!:0a27:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with Lawrence. At $90/hr or so I can tinker a long time in my garage before I come close to what a shop will charge for just a carb rebuild. The 30 bucks I spent on an OEM manual and parts catalog has saved me several thousand dollars so far and still counting.

I will say, though, that working on one without a good manual is just not a good idea unless you've got years of experience at it. If you search Ebay using your engine model number you can probably find a manual pretty cheap.

When you overhauled the carbs, did you pull the jets and make sure there's no trash in them and soak the carbs? Doesn't take much to mess them up and if you get a blocked high speed jet you're setting yourself up for a lean condition and scored cylinders. Good luck!

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Man you guys have learned well keep up the good work.