Can't get away from the gar!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mhbomber, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Lately, I have been skunked everytime with the catfish but reel in a couple of gar per trip. Now I am not complaining about catchin the occasional gar but I seem to be reelin in 3-4 per trip. Do catfish and gar hang out in the same areas?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure what kind of water you're fishing, but if it's a river, see if you can get somewhere with more current. Usually less gar and maybe some bigger cats. Good luck!

Branden

3. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    When I was a kid, we fished for bream and bass mostly. I always heard that if Gar were around, you would not have much luck. I had a gar 1 time in an aquarium, and it grew like crazy, and was a bad-a$$ fish in no time. I know cats can handle themselves, but I figure gar are a big source of food competition for them. We have lots here, and I try and fish wher they are not too thick. They are fun to catch, though...:wink:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can just about bet when you catch gar you might as well move on because the gar has run most everything out

5. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Quoted For Truth.
    If i see Gar, im outta there. Unless I got my Bow with me :wink:

6. Kerplunkd

Kerplunkd New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you're fishin in shallow and slow moving river, then you can bet there will be gar. There always seems to be a lot of gar action this time of year in the river I fish. Maybe this is their mating time.