Can't Get A Bite!!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hct236, Jul 7, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey all!, This spring and summer all my best channel cat holes are not producing. I have moved to new holes, all different kinds bait, even bobber fished and still no bites since early spring. Have fished early morning, afternoon and late night. So I think I have covered all the bases but no luck. I know they are there 'cause I can see them cruising the shallows from time to time. Any Ideas??? Thanks

Just a side note: There has been an explosion in the 'gill population...could this be related? Fewer predators eating them allowing the numbers to grow? or are the cats enjoying the numbers of live food and don't need my bait?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've had the same problem this year..The spring brought more rain than usual and the water stayed up..I was told all kinds of different things:like there pushed into the creeks so I try the creeks and nothing..I was also told that the bait population had exploded because of the high water and the fish wouldn't bite cause they had all the food they could eat readily available..Who knows..It seems to me that fishing fluctuates from season to season.Last spring I caught tons of fish..Who knows..Theirs so many factors that can effect fish that its really impossible to pinpoint an actual cause to the lack of bite..

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Here is a thought that you may have all ready tried but when I go catfishing i drop anchor and fish 45 minutes no bite i go somewhere else and drop anchor no bite pull anchor drop in the trolling motor and cover my favorite areas. my area is littered with bait fish and i am sill catching fish good luck hope you find them

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    oops welcome to the BOC Howard

5. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Try in the shallows. If I'm not getting bites in the holes I go for the shallows and usually get some. With the abundance of gills, try catching them and use them for bait if it's legal there. What they have naturally to eat often makes the best bait.

Have you tried worms? I hardly ever go fishing without worms. If you're going for eaters that may be a go to bait. Probably not so much if you're looking for trophies. It seems that a lot of time worms just produce more than anything else, but the bigger fish usually prefer something else. If nothing else you'll probably catch some panfish on the worms, then you won't be totally skunked.

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Not catching in the deeper hole a move to the shallows is a good idea, in as shallow as a foot of so. That move worked for me this year as the deep hole bites were not happening.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    theres alot of people having trouble this year getting bites i know i have.this has been one of the worst years ive had for catching fish.I have a feeling it has to do with all the rain we have had and all the bait fish as well but im no expert.But its been rough thats for sure.

8. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Maybe try a Leopard Frog. Hooked through both lips and break the back legs so he can't pull himself off the hook.

9. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Finally broke the dry spell....Fished a shallow cove adjacent to a deep water channel. Put the Secret 7 in the transistion zone of deep and shallow and hooked 8 nice channels in about 3 hrs. Just goes to show, never give up and always try new places and baits.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Way to go Howard. Nice catch:wink:

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Great job Howard, thanks for the update and do keep on trying!

12. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    if there is alol of shad where your fishin then that the problem you need to cast net and see what bait is where your fishin. never fishwith any bait that'sd not where your fishn if the bait aint there dont use it. ifr you can't catch bate whereb your At don't even fish there

13. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I'm glad you found them I was going to suggest trying shallow up here when the water gets high i go shallow right close to shore and that's where i find them. I also have found that using baitfish whether it's goldeyes mooneyes or suckers from the same river makes a big difference too.

14. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    THANKS!!!!! Worked Out Great

15. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    with all the rain this year it is hard also i would use a dip bait and or use cut gills:wink: also try this spam cut in chunks and get chicken liver and store chunks of spam in the liver

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  16. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The creeks and rivers around here have been up from previous years and before the spawn I had more luck than ever. Ever since the spawn though not much happening.

17. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i was told they were deep so i fished the channel all weekend with cut shad and shrimp with not much luck. walked down from the house after work today and bankfished with nightcrawlers and caught more than i did all weekend in about 5 feet of water

18. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    Howard,

Depending on the size of channel your looking for...ive always had luck with chicken livers dressed up with Garlic powder, and i fish any cover i can find, such as stumps or large rocks in the water. i cast out a few feet from it, ive noticed that channel's like most cats are lazy and unless you drop it on there head there not gonna hit ASAP. doesnt really matter on the depth of the water because 2ft or 20ft a hungry fish is gonna bite! also try and fish the banks, if you see a spot that looks like a tree has had its roots washed out and made a cave like hole in the side of the bank you should try to fish it. and if theres a big population of blue gill then catch some and try them as cut bait. That could be the main diet of your cats in the area. hope this helps

shane