Can't get a bite on cut bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bsites9, Aug 6, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    As the subject line says, i have yet to get a single bite on cut bait. I'm using cut blue gills. I'm using the head, and then cutting the body into about 2 differnt pieces (depending on the size of the fish). We're fishing them on the bottom (Lake fishing) and i'm not completely sure of the depth we're fishing, but the shore line drops off pretty quickly from the bank. We were also using chicken livers, and caught a couple decent sized keeper blues, but thats it. I'm really disappointed and confused about this cut blue gill stuff not getting any bites.

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    How long are you waiting for the bite? Im in Va also, and fish on the James and Appomattox and on both sometimes I can get a bite within seconds of it hitting the bottom and sometimes I may fall asleep in my chair for an hour before something hits it. And thats throughout the morning to 9pm. I use the heads until I run out then I switch to the mid section, I just throw the tails in the water.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The skipjacks have been gettin bites here time to time.. but its slow here too. Should pick up significantly around early fall.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    It may take ahile but its good bait to use.Just set it out and leave it.Cut gill has caught me some of my biggest fish.

5. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Might try floating them under a Kat-Bobber.

6. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i know this may sound weird, but i always scale the fish before i cut it down to size, for some reason this works for me, and i cut away all the fins. fish heads work for me but i like using the mid section, i cut the fish down into quarter size squares. here recently i just started cutting them into a fillet and then into smaller pieces, this has deff showed improvement, like ive stated in other posts i think there all a little lazy after the spawn and will take anything that comes easy to them

7. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    thanks guys for the replies, and please everybody...keep em comin. I havn't gotten so much as a bite the last 3 times i've gone on cut bait. I'm leaving it out there quite a while. unfortunately, where i've been fishing, you can't fish after 10 pm, so i havn't gotten to try the night fishing, but just havn't had any luck anywhere from noon, through the day, and through dusk til 10pm.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    switch to shrimp. You can get a bag of them at walmart for $5. Use the raw ones that haven't been deveined.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I second that..

I do the same thing..I have had minimal success with cut bream too though..Haven't caught many blues or flatheads this year..I've done good with liver but no good sized fish..And tried a different approach this past fishing trip using dead creek chubs and did really good but again caught nothing with any size..

10. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    without sounding TOO pathetic and uneducated...but what is a Kat bobber? how do you rig it? and at what depth do you fish it? like i said before, we're bank fishing, but the water seems to get pretty deep pretty quick from the bank, so please, give as much detail to everything that you can. thanks a lot

11. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    try fishing the shallow side of that drop off. seriously, right up against the bank, in just a foot or two of water. put a rod in a rod holder, and then get away from it...or be seriously quiet, no lights and movement near the rod. big cats will cruise very shallow looking for perch at night, if nothing spooks them away.
    nothing wrong with the bait you are using, I just suspect you are fishing too deep.

12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Check here for a Katbobber..
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9251
    If you go to their website I believe there's a video on how to use them..As far as how deep well thats something you'll have to figure out by adjusting the depth till you find where there biting..

13. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

well like i said, we're not fishing at night. we have to leave right about the time it gets dark. so for example, the other day, we got there by about 2:30 in the afternoon. fished until about 9:00.

14. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    i just checked out the Kat bobbers..but here's another question...how do you know the depth when you're fishing from the bank? i wouldn't have any idea how far up to tie my stopper knot (which i also don't know how to do).

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

why would you need to tie a knot like that? heres wat i do...get a cork thats hollow in the middle and run the line threw it. then do the same with a bullet weight after the cork..say 1oz then use a barrell swivel with your leader and hook. but depending on what gear you use, you can just tie on a hook, no need for the swivels and stuff. this will allow the cork to slide up the line depending on the depth you fish, so if you 3ft deep the cork will move up to the top of the water, same as if your 30ft

this is what i use, did this the best a i can with ms paint hope it helps

[​IMG]

16. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Bad biting here on the lake only on the river is another story the fish hit hard and fast. Hiwassee river up from B&B from the bank or boat heading there Monday.

17. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

ok...but..2 things. if you do it that way, then the bait will just be sitting on the bottom anyway, so whats the point of the float...AND...without a stop knot, what will make the bobber go under when you get a bite. the line will just slide through the slip bobber, and not go under.

18. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC

i use this alot..the bobber still goes under, an i use this rig when im using live bait, its also worked with cut bait aswell but its alot better for live bait. i fish the bottom with cut bait, when the bait is alive the weight on the bottom with only allow it to swim up and around so far, keeps the fish in a small area if its light weight an floating more the fish will move around way to much. this idea is so you dont have to tie those stop knots, and keeps your bait from swimming under a log or a structure that will most likely get you snagged up ...trust me this works!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  19. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Uhh..Well you would want a bobber stop to fish for fish that are suspended..No bobber stop and your fishing the bottom..

20. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va

so if i DON'T use a bobber stop, the bobber will still go under if i get a bite, and i'm fishing the bottom?