Can't Fish So I Upgraded the fishing tackle - What fishing tackle do you guys use?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Memphis, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this year i had 4 set-ups
    4 quantum Big Cat rods
    3 penn-209
    1 abu 7000-c3

thought id try some higher end stuff just to see if it was better ( or if i could get the better half to throw me out first :D )

after reading and reading to see what id like ive ended up with 3 combos now

Penn International 975 reel on a BRAND NEW never used #3 E-Cat
    (I Actually found one thats 10 years old and never been used!)

2 Quantum Cabo CLW30 reels and i kept 2 of my Big Cat rods 1 med/hev and 1 heavy action
    i might get rid of the 2 big cat rods and get 2 moyer boss rods but i gotta let the dust settle from the reels being bought first

what kind of combos do you guys use? or what combo would you get for your PERFECT set up
    thats what i went for when i got these

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Memphis, my fishing partners and I have landed alot of big fish this year on a lot less gear than you originally listed. I myself just upgraded to a pair of 209 penns, but I'm yet to use them for the lack of rods. We have landed several 30, 40 and a couple of fifties on a lot less gear than what you have mentioned. What size cats are you after? Vern

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Memphis this year I bought 2 Abu's 6500C3 for catching the biggun and have brought in a huge 7 1/2 lbs cat LOL. Next year Im going out for some bigguns again hopefully will be able to pull in an 8 lbs or more LOL.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm still gathering stuff, but so far I've got one abu 6000 and one 6500 on heavy action flippin sticks for channel cats.

one abu 7000 on a st croix classic cat
    one penn 309 on an old white eagleclaw rod
    and should be recieving an abu 10000 any day now in the mail and depending on how well I like it i'll be buying another 10000 or 7000 after christmas. need to pick out some new rods as well but just haven't decided on any yet.

5. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    You already got rid of your excess equipment or is it for sale?

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    H20 mellons got you all beat!

7. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yea i sold all the reals and the 2 other big cat rods

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    does anyone have a jim moyer boss rod? I'm considering purchasing one.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brad I was gonna get one of those Jim Moyer rods..They have one major drawback..They had a chrome tip like the old bigcat rods did..This tip will grove bad and cause line breakage..If the tip had a ceramic insert I would buy one.

10. Memphis

Memphis New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all the eyes on a boss rod are chrome not just the tip

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks Jack, did not know about the stainless tip. Well Drat....need to find a couple of rods now. need something good to mount that 10000 I'm gettin from Mellon.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You mean he has not sent you the reel yet???? What is he waiting on?

13. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I ain't seen it yet, but I'm sure it will be here soon. not worried or in a big hurry. heck the kansas river has ice on most of it right now. i will not be fishing for a while.....busy pheasant hunting.

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have a smorgasbord of catfishing stuff. i usually try to buy the best quality at the cheapest price i can get by with. i have 2 okuma classic pro reels spooled with bass pros 40# tightline,coupled with 10 foot berkely reflex rods for fishing in heavy structure. i have a 209 penn on a 7 foot ugly stik tiger rod for boat fishing, i also have a 309 penn that i dont have a rod for yet. plan on buying another tiger rod this spring. as for my channel cat fishing and light stuff i have 4 shimano cosair 400s all on 9 foot reflex rods. i also have an okuma corrida spinning reel on a 9 foot refex rod.