cant find the good stuff

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by kingcat12, Aug 24, 2009.

1. kingcat12

kingcat12 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    people keep telling me to use skip jack. any one know where to get skp jack near dayton ohio

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fish the dams nearby... :wink: Toss lil 1/16th oz. jigheads with green/white 1-2 in. grubs.

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    i thought skipjack were a coastal fish??? guess im wrong if you can catch them in central ohio

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    They're in the shad family. They're also called skipjack shad, skipjack herring, etc. Not to be confused with the tuna species.

5. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would check to see if they are native to the area. I don't know about Ohio, but we don't have them in my neck of the woods (Iowa). If they are in Iowa, I've never seen one.......

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Nick.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Try below the dams on the Ohio river.

8. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    yea they're in ohio you can get them in anumber of places on the ohio river. i usually get mine by puttin a big trebel hook on a line by itself and well after i find them and throwin it out and reeling in as fast as possible and snaggin them it works good sometimes others its hit or miss you gotta find a big school.

9. sharphooks

sharphooks New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Not saying you wont catch skipjack, but you are more likely to be catching mooneyes. Which look similar to a skippy, but more abundant around here anyway. I heard the mooneyes work better but i think that is a personal issue.

10. twincatfis

twincatfis New Member

State:
    lincoln nebraska
    if anyone would be willing to sell me some skip jack could you please pm me with a price thanks

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
  12. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Below Cordell Hull Dam in Carthage Tennessee I caught 350 just this past Sat. Morning. They are about 3 to 5 inches in length, great size for jugging. I am also still catching some adults all were caught using Sabiki rigs.