CANT FIND THE FISH

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 17, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IVE BEEN FLATHEAD FISHING FOR THREE YEARS MY BIGGEST WAS TWENTYSEVEN POUNDS, I SEE EVERY BODY ON HERE GETS ALOT OF FISH , THERE IS SOMETHING IM DOING WRONG, I SIT ALL NIGHT AND MIGHT GET TWO RUNS, IF THAT, THE PROBLEM IS THERES NO STRUCTER AROUND ME , I CANT GET TO PLACES AROUND HERE WITH ALOT OF STRUCTURE, I FISH DEEP AND SHALLOW USALY FROM 6PM TO 1AM, IS THAT APROBLEM SHOULD I START LATER, AND CAST SHALLOW, MY MAIN PLACES IS SHELBYVILL DAM, AND SANGCHRIS LAKE, I JUST DONT GET ALOT OF BITES, WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECAMEND,

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've been in the same boat all year. I get into a routine. Meaning, I fish the same spots, the same hours, repeat the same things that don't work over and over. Try changing your routine. Check the lunar cycles. I've caught my last Flatheads during a Dark moon phase then during a Full. Also, I quit spraying mosquito repellant all over my hands and bought a dip net for my bait bucket. I've read that Catfish senses are super keen and if they detect a substance such as gasoline, bug spray, tobacco etc. they might pass it by. Same as if you or I bit into a steak that had been marinated in Pine Sol. I would spit it out. In a nut shell look to change the subtle things, these I believe make the big differences. They say the definition of insanity is repeating the same things over and over and expecting different results. :0a26:

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    If you cant get to structure then try getting to a spot where a creek runs into either the river or the lake. This year Ive been concentrating on creek mouths. Most of my flats this year have come between 930 and 1100. The flats move from the structure up into the creeks to look for baitfish around dark. When you stop getting runs, move further up the creek and set up again.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Like DIESELkat said, you might find that moving around might be your best bet for increasing your chances. Sometimes I move off a spot and wonder if I had stayed would a fish come along? Most flathead guys here will tell you that sitting in a spot for more than an hour without a bite is way too long. You just have to try everything and see what works. Best of luck to you. Also try scouting some spots during the day. You might find some structure that you cant see at nigt.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    THE PROBLEM WITH MOVING AROUND IS WE PACK HEAVY FOR ONE SPOT,I FISH POINTS ALL NIGHT BUT , I CANT GET TO ALOT OF SRUCTURE, ARE POINTS GOOD FLATHEAD PLACES, OR WOULD YOU SAY SHALOW COVES,WITH MOR STRUCTURE,IM STILL NO PRO, I KNOW MY RIGS, I KNOW BY BAITS, JUST NEED MORE HABIT INFO ON FLATHEADS, I NEED TO KNOW WERE THEY HIDE IN DAY , AND WERE THEY GO AT NIGHT, ARE THEY IN JAMS AT NIGHT OR ARE THEY ROMING THE BANKS, I CAST DEEP AT NIGHT, IS THAT A MISTAKE WEN FISHING LAKES, IN A RIVER ALWAYS SHALLOW, I GOT A TWENTYSEVEN POUNDER AT NIGHT 50 YARDS OUT ON A SANDBARE, NEED SOME CORRECTIONS ABOUT MY METHODS,

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Check out the book called "Pro Tactics" by Kieth Sutton also theres a great video by In-Fisherman called "Flathead Day on the River". These two materials have really helped me.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    flats will tend to stay in structure through most of the day,logs,rock piles etc,some of the nastiest stuff out there.into the evening,they start moving into shallows to feed at night.some of the best waters is shallow coves with cover for baitfish like bluegills.early evening you should concentrate on areas between deeper structure,and somewhere like a cove.then,opposite in the morning,they will be coming back out of the feeding spots back to deeper structure.
    or,in the evening,maybe look for a bridge or something like that narrowing down a travelling lane to a shallow feeding area,that will concentrate fish more to one spot.
    i am not sure on points,but if they had some structure,it would most definately help.
    basically,fish deeper in the day and shallow at night.they will even come up into a foot of water,or shallower,if possible to get a good meal.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    that helps a little , so any were you get a buch of bluegil in the day gets flaheads at nigh