Can't find the big catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jacob, May 2, 2007.

1. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i'v ben on a lake 4 quite some time and i hav ben catching alot but i cant seem to hook up with the bigones...any suggestions?

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bait selection in my opinion is one of the most important factors in catching big fish.

In my experience worms, doughbait, liver etc are going to be good producers of small fish. This is not to say that larger fish cant or wont be caught on these, but the majority of fish caught on them are smaller.

Bigger fish eat fish, frogs, crawfish, turtles etc. Try to use fresh dead, or live bait. For flatheads use perch, carp, large minnows. For blues use shad, perch(live or dead), crawfish.

Use one rod with your biggest bait, and several rods with smaller bait(if you use more than one rod). That way, you have a good chance of catching something, and a alittle bit better chance of something bigger hitting your larger bait.

And last but not least, fish in places that are known to have big fish, and in a large number. I have a local lake that supports blues up to 35-40 pounds(40 being the record for the lake). I know ill have a hard time getting a huge fish from this lake. About 1 hour further away there is a lake that supports blues into the 80-90# range. I have a much better chance of catching a 35+ # fish in that lake than my local lake.

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    yep, good advice. I use half goldeye hooked thru eyes and larger frogs for my channels. small bait produces alot of small fish and occasional large. I also keep moving around loooking for deeper holes that hold larger fish.

I look for deep channels with large log jams. drop the bait in front and let it move in..

keep hope alive. it will pay off soon.

good fishing..

4. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thank you both...i also wanted to say that i seem to catch most of my fish in curents...is that the same for you or does it not really make a difference

5. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Anyone ever have any luck with the preserved dead baits that can be bought from wal-mart (like shad)? I've thought about trying them but I've always heard only fresh dead baits work well. Any suggestions?

6. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    shad did well for me...it is no magic bait but it does the job

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive tried that shad and it didnt do anything not a bite. It doesnt even smell like shad.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try using shad, live bluegills, or cutbait.

9. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Think About The Shad That Is At Waly World.... It is PRESERVED shad, with that being said all the shad oil is taken out of them so they don’t smell like shad...... There scent is weak and doesn’t last very long in the water compared to fresh caught shad or fresh caught bait of any type......

10. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    my opinion, dont waste your money on walmart shad, buy worms and catch your bait.

11. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i suggest you buy a cast net...its quick easy and cheep you will also pay off the net with the money you dont half to spend on sertain bait.

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, I never buy bait anymore. I use shad/perch and lures for all my fishing.

13. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have found that fishing just outside the current break has worked for me around dams and such. otherwise I anchor about 15 feet off shore in low current on inside of bend.

try just using the head and hook thru eyes or from rear of head.

good luck.. they are there..

14. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i also find most cats near curents

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im having trouble finding the big fish right now too. fish up to 15lbs arent a problem at all right now for me. past couple trips have results of 15-25 fish a day using fresh bait on rod and reel. mostly shad. i was on the big fish back in jan and they disappeared on me the week before our local the tournament.:crazy: i too like fishing the deep water current on the up river ends of my local lakes but the fish i been catching have been on top of the channel ledges and flats. kind of makes sense to me because our shad are in shallow water right now.:roll_eyes: just cannot seem to break my old habits to try differnet spots and locate them big girls before they spawn. they stacked up somewhere feeding right now but danged if i can find them for some reason. i been catching 99% blues. water temps are in the 70s so spawn is not far off for us. im marking plenty of fish but i cannot seem to find the 1/4" to 1/2" arches i was seeing.:confused2: i bet there right under my nose and i cannot see them....lol. maybe its the weather messing with the big fish too. hot and cold...on and off with spring time. heck i dont know but i not quiting.:smile2:

16. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma

man I know how you feel about theold habbits...once you get the nicer fish 4 a while its hard to break the habbits

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    your exactly right because i set at home thinking in my next game plan and when the boat hits the water its on auto pilot and im just along for the ride.:lol: could be worse though so i cannot complain too much. it does spoil you when you hit them big fish every now and then though. what really bothers me is when there is 3-4 good cats guys working the lake and cannot find the big ones an then someone jugging goes down and takes roll call on them. dont want no argument with that statement its just a fact here and legal too. i just dont want/need them that bad and enjoy the hunt for them.

18. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    exactly i always see the juglines get the big fish.i'v sat out on the watter 4 twice as long as some of the lines they set out.but they still get huge fish.i also love the hunt for them i find the greatest satice faction in finding and landing the big fish