Can't find em

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Bigbluefisherman, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been out several times in the last month or so trying to get the ole blues to bite, I have tryed just about everything I know and have been told with little to no success! Is anyone doing any good out there on the Missouri River??

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Matt, you gotta try different things when your not getting bites. I have always heard that cats are bottom feeders. Most cats probably do stay close to the bottom, but they can be found anywhere in the water column. Last summer we couldn't get a bite to save our a, er, elbows. The state dept of wildlife shocked the lake....surprise, suprise...they did not find any fish (not a cat, not a carp, not a crappie, not a perch...any fish in the waters 10' to 17' deep. All the large bass and cats were found in water 6 to 8 foot deep. The thermocline was at 9 foot. The fish were above the thermocline. This year is even worse than last year. What cats we caught today were in water 6 to 8 foot deep again. So, vary your technique, vary your bait, and vary the depth your trying to catch the fish. Lotsa luck helps also.

3. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Matt, I have to agree, try different things. The blues that I have been getting are in the fast water between 3-20 feet. I have had some success jugging in 2-3' of water. And better success with rod and reel, with whole shad 3-6" long. Always in the current. I look for busted dikes or fish off the tips of dikes. Good luck.

4. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt dont give up it just gets better as the yr goes on as we get into them more in the next couple of months. We have had bad conditions lately but as soon as the weather gets better and the river gets right you will find them easier.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I haven't been skunked the last 4 trips on the river, including last Monday night. Caught my personal best about 2.5 weeks ago, know others here have done the same in the last couple of weeks though the reports have dropped off over the last 10 days or so.

So I know the blues are out there and they're biting at least a little bit.

Could be you're in the wrong place, using the wrong bait, at the wrong time.

One good place to start would be to look at the river levels on the days you've been fishing and see if there's a consistent trend - has the river been on a rise, falling, steady or what during that time? Other threads here give the URL for the USGS web site that tracks river levels and lets you go back 30 days of history.

Are you always fishing in the same kind of water? Same depth? Same current? Same location relative to a wing dyke? Same time of day? Same bait? Same rigging? Try something new if so.

Look at what others here are posting and compare to what you're doing and maybe something will jump out at you that you can change.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah man, the fishing has sucked here the past week or so. The rain is making the river go up and down. Just need the water to level out and then it should only get better. The water temp is in the low 80's now. Was really getting into them when the water was around 88 or so.

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I went out last night and fished for awhile! I was crusin around to try and get a carp, oh I got one all right! Crusin along, all at once three of the damn things come over the side of the boat, in the process one of the stinkin damn things proceeded to break my depth finder off of its bracket. Finally I chucked two of them over the side of the boat and went fishing! Caught one about 630pm on carp, fishing a channel crossing, he weighed about 14lbs. About 815pm or so I caught another about 9 lbs on a sand flat right above a scour hole...on carp! I finally broke the streak!

8. wooleybugger

wooleybugger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best luck weve ever had is catching it right when that river is coming up If you catch it right its unreal once it peaks out though it seems it starts to slow down but if you can catch it just when its starting to rise its on

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.

What rain are you talking about. We do need some here. Water just seems to get lower and lower.

10. Rogue

Rogue New Member

State:
    US Louisiana
    Last three tripshave been tough had to run and gun put alot of gas moneu outtfor little results in fish

11. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

man i have to agree with you aw..... you need to just hang in there. try some diferent kinds of bait. cut gills or shad. tigger shrimp is good to this time of year. went out wensday night and every thing we cought was on tigger shrimp.

12. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Matt,
    I wouldnt even chime in except that has been my results lately too. I think--- I know July was my personal best month ever for river fishing, but August has been bad!!! Im wondering is it FLOW (CFS) or rainy weather related or did the baitfish change patterns?

I dont buy the "catch the river on the rise..., 2 hours after sunup....etc..." thing personally, but many swear by them (to each his own).
    Myself I find stable weather is the most productive-the more the better.

I think Awshucks sayiny change is right on and someone else who said its just slow.

Definitly try new methods, presentations and locations. I hate doing that myself as thats alot more work, but know I gotta do it so I will I guess. Also try to be more observant of the graph and whats happening in the enviroment to steer you towards trying new things.

River fishing sure humbles a guy-Ya think you just get a pattern going then BAM! its gone and ya gotta refigure everything.

River is all about change I gotta constantly be changing with it or I hit and miss with periods of skunkout! That will end soon(just hope I dont too old to utilize it or loose interest).

Good luck this season for the big ones!