Can't figure this reel out.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ozzfreak, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I respooled my reel today, a Rhino RSC3, and I used the same 8 lb spiderwire that I always use, but this time, with no tension, it won't reel in, it just slips, if I hold tension, it will reel in fine. What could cause this? I figure to small of line, but it's the same stuff. I am going out fishing tomorrow morning and I need help fast if anyone is out there. Thanks.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The catch inside the housing maybe getting stuck are not catching your line. Did you keep tension on the line when you respooled? There might be some slack in your line also.

3. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    Thanks for the quick reply.........I checked that, and the springs that push out the plastic that catches the line, they are working fine, and I did keep the line tight. I just went outside and casted out as far as I could a few times, it seems better. maybe I had the line in the wrong direction when I spooled it. I had it through a screw in a board, label up, which is counter clockwise. Could that be it?

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The onlt other thing I can think of is your knot connecting the line to the reel was loose are the tag end wasn't trimmed and getting in the way. Glad to hear its doing better for you and good luck.

5. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    actually braid has to be backed by monofilament - just enough to cover the entire spool. sometimes the braid will just slip right around the reel and receive no tension if you don't- simply put 20-30 yds of mono on their then tie the braid to it with something like an albright knot, and that should fix the problem

6. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I should have mentioned that it's spiderwire super mono, not braided. So that won't work for me, :(

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    ehhk hmm never had a reel do that with mono

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A buddy of mine has a reel that does the same thing. I don't know about your's, but if it were me, I would return it for a new one.

9. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    Well, the reel is about 5-6 years old, so i don't think they would take it back.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    andy,
    1st of all welcome to the BOC.
    about that line and your reel .
    i dont know why but i had terrible luck with braided line in my rsc3 and 5 too.

i gave up and just spooled with good mono on those reels and left well
    enough alone.
    one issue i had was not being able to use a slip bobber set up as the bobber stop would hang up inside the reel face against the spool .
    i like those reels , and when i do use them ,i dont use them with braid line or bobber stops and they work and perform fine otherwise.

i think there is a clearance issue they need to rework that allows the braid to coil up against the inside of the reel face and not allow the pickup pin to grab it unless you pull tesion on it line with your fingers before reeling in.

its aggrivateing but it hink its the smaller diameter line that this happens with maybe.

11. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    The best way to cure this problam is to throw the reel away and buy a quality reel.

12. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    Well, I consider this reel a good reel, it has never once gave me a problem in the 5ish years i've had it, this is the first time. All of my RSC3's and RSC5's have all been good. Not everyone can afford the top priced stuff, and this line of reels has been good to me, for a fair price.

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i like the rhino reels too man , but i got abus and mitchells and a couple penns as well but for the price the rhino reels are durable they just dont have something quite up to snuff with the spool/face issue when useing small diameter braid line.
    if you use a 14-20 3LB mono like biggame trilene they work just fine.