Cant catch one to save my life

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by pwcracer, Aug 15, 2006.

1. pwcracer

pwcracer New Member

State:
    mpls
    I have fished 5 days in a row on the Mississippi river and cant catch a stupid flathead for anything. I have tried the bottom side of the dam, the top side of the dam, tried A small creek that feeds into the river, I've tried around tons of structure, Ive tried on Sand bottoms, I have tried in 4 feet of water, and I have tried in 42 feet of water. I've used blue gills, worms, and suckers. I fished the other night until 4 in the AM and still nothing. I ended up catching a channel cat on a sucker minnow.. Is this just the wrong time of year? what else should I be doing?

What discourages me, is this boat was coming in when I was and they said they caught 5 of them in from of the dam.. I go there and its 42 feet, and I fished for 3 hours and not a single bite (only bite I get is from mosquito)

I have this spot for channel cats, Its about 50 yards from the river bank, and a small stream runs out into the river. It's about 4-5 feet deep and I caught 25 channel cats there in about 2 hours.. Could this place be good for flat heads as well? It has a sandy bottom.

2. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    join the crowd me and wolfman go through the same thing.weknow there are flatheads where we fish and we use every bait possible but you have those nights like that

3. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey, new to the site and appreciate everyone's knowledge on the subject of catfishing.
    Some background, back in my early years I trotlined a lot in Texas for flats. I'm now in Alabama and trying to catch a few. Just got a boat so I'm trying to learn the water so it will take some time.
    I went out two different nights this week and had no luck at all. I have had some luck jugging for blues during the day, but no flatheads. Nights have been bad as well jugging, only days are working well.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The flathead fishing here in the last few days hasn't been that good either, I'm gonna take tonight off and try it again tomorrow. I think that something is going on I'm not sure what. Think I'm gonna try and suspend the bait with bobers next time I go out.

BTW- You won't catch any flatheads on worms

Stick with it

Josh

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive been having the same look well Ive been catching one very little one the last 4 times also but it will get better Im going to take a couple weeks off.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC Troy!!!

It is a good thing that our lives DON"T DEPEND on catching them, LOL!!! We woyuld be in some serious trouble, LMAO!!!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Greg, stick with it brother. They got to feed sometime, spawn should be over with in most areas. Try cutting a bluegill up and use the head, works for me when the bite is slow.

8. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    thanks every one for the warm welcome also would like to welcome jrukman36 to the boc.

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the site guys...... I beleive its been slow in alot of places.. unless your on the Ohio.... lol.... But i will be going out tonight or tommorrow night at a couple fishing holes and see what i can conjure up

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey there Troy, Ronnie and Greg, Welcome to the Brotherhood. It's always nice when the family grows.

st

11. jruckman41

jruckman41 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    whats up guys just trying to get the hang of this.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    greg it sounds to me like flatheads in your area are smarter than you think , here this might help try fishing ledges in deep water but close to shore where theres bait fish or a small ditch or creek flowing in fish that area at night with live bait (dont move)
    fish that spot the hole time yer there eventualy the flaty will move in to feed you cant give up patience and lots of it is required for flatties

13. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    thanks seed tick iwill try that i bought a cheap dozen of arrows from
    cabelas i dont know if thats what it was.

14. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    thanks everybody for the warm welcome" its nice to have a nice site like this to share info on something you love to do

15. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me and one of my friends went out a couple times last week and we used cut bluegill for bait. Fished about 4 hours and only got one hit, and 0 fish. The Flatheads have not been hitting here on the Ohio lately. I was catching them pretty frequently about mid July though. Caught a few 10 pounders (flatties) on cut perch one night and only fished for a couple hours. But latley fishin has sucked for me.