cant catch a fish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by catfishingricky, Jul 25, 2009.

1. catfishingricky

catfishingricky Member

State:
    kentucky
    went to salt river west point boat ramp fished from 9pm to 3am this morining before the rain started we left had 5 good bites on live bluegills laid the poles all the way over in the pole holders thought the fish were hooked get pole out of pole holders and they turn it lose the way the rods were bent i thought the hooked their self on the circle hooks we only had one bite on frozen skipjack did anyone else go out there this weekend:big_smile:

2. sittinheavy

sittinheavy New Member

State:
    ky
    either loosen the drag on your reels or free spool them with the bait clicker on, this will let the fish run with the bait. should let you set the hook when your ready and not spook the fish when he feels tension upon grabbing the rod.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC fellas. Are you using a big enough hook for the size bait you're throwing. Be sure you have enough hook exposed to get the job done. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Could it be possibly Gar ????:confused2:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I was thinking a Gar also.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Circle hooks can be tricky i dont like them to much myself unless im fishing in the current. but the size is def a trick to them and i would still fish them like a J hook. only difference i have been taught, and i could be wrong, is that in stead of jerking the rod to set the hook you just start reeling and that will hook them in the corner of the mouth. takes a lot of patience and practice from what i've found. Also from what i gather, you need a rod with a bit more give in it. this helps to get the fish to hook it's self a stiff rod can be the same as jerking the hook. it doesnt give enough to let the hook do it's work. thats just my thoughts on your circle hook problem.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like gar to me, I never had a flathead load a rod up like while using circle hooks and not catch it....But gar will do just as you described.

8. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I gotta agree thats just the way gars will do.:wink:

9. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would say it was gar as well . I have been reading up on them here lately myself and have read over and over about how they just grab the bait and run up to 200 yards away from the rest of the pack to turn their food around to eat it with out the fear of loosing it to another gar. that is why they say not to set the hook on a gar untill after they stop at the ensd of their first run. if not they just open their beeks and let it go.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC