Can't catch a "cat", guess I've lost the touch

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Greetings to All,

I just got back into catfishing about 2 months ago, last heavy catfishing was in the mid 80's while I was in SC. Have been going at it pretty hot and heavy. Fishing several times a week. Have fished from about 5 PM until around an hour after dark (normally) but have gone out and fished from about midnight to 4 AM. But, I have yet to catch a single catfish :mad: . And, I am beginning to think I have lost the touch. I have fished with, live shad, cut shad, live bluegill, cut bluegill, chicken livers, my own dough bait made from livers, sardines, garlic, anise, parmasean cheese, bacon grease etc, nightcrawlers, range cubes, hog wild, big balls of cheddar cheese, creek minnows and live crawdads. And, all I have managed to catch is a few redeye, one largemouth bass and carp. The bass was small, one carp weighed 4 1/2 pounds and another weighed about 15 pounds (the carp took the range cubes). I have attached a pic of the 4 1/2 pound carp, taken on a 7 foot glow stik and 6500 CS Rocket reel. I did not have the camera when I got the 15 pounder.

I did have another really large fish on that I did not see but I tried to horse him to keep him away from my other lines and (as a result I popped my 17 pound line). But, what he was I do not know. Had one other large fish (again unseen) take my crawdad and wrap around some limbs on a fallen tree. I kept him on for about 20 minutes and kept hoping that he would unwrap himself but the line finally popped from abrasion. I could feel his head shaking from time to time as he tried to get loose from the hook.

Anyway, I know I have been fishing where there are catfish but for the life of me I cannot catch any. I cannot figure what is wrong. Unless, it has been the miserably hot weather we have had and/or I am fishing at the wrong times. I have just fished a couple of lakes but none of the rivers that I have access to. Maybe I should try the rivers.

Anyway, does anyone see where I am missing "it" or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Sentry, welcome to the board. The fishing has been pretty hit and miss here (Ohio) more missin than hitten...lol I think you are on the correct thinking because the heat and dry spell have taken their toll on the catfishing. My suggestion would be to get back out there just like you have been doing and see if you have any better luck after this rain. Good Luck!

3. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Welcome to the family. in the day fish the areas that does not have direct sun light on them what i mean is the areas like over hanging trees down logs and around piles of brush.

At night fish the not so deep areas as catfish run the not so deep areas at night in search of food try bringing your bait off bottom atleast a foot of more give a better hold for the catfish giving you a better chance at a good hook set and lets them just swim into the bait and suck it in.

But sounds to me you already hav the right bait coverd just got to scout out the right areas now. good luck and keep us posted thank you for joining.

4. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Catbird, that is what I am going to do, hopefully, Thursday evening and maybe Friday. But, for sure on Saturday and Sunday nights. I don't take high temps very well, so I usually start fishing after the sun goes down.

5. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    VAcatfish,

Thanks for the tips. I have been mainly fishing rip rap areas with a lot of downed trees across from me. And, most times, I do always fish a shaded area.

As for keeping the bait off the bottom, I have been using the Paternoster rig, which does exactly that. But, I may need to experiment a bit with some different distances above bottom.

In a couple of places I fish, I may have been fishing to deep after dark. So, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Sometimes I get wild and want to get the bait out there as far as I can. And, in this one particular place I fish, it will drop from around 6 to 10 feet to maybe 50 feet. And, I sure don't think I need to be fishing at the 50 foot level at night. So, I guess I had better shorten my casts, to the extreme.

The lakes I fish are in the upper East Tennesse mountains, so steep/deep dropoffs are very close to shore, in most instances.

6. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hey Baitfish,

Maybe we should join forces and throw a "pity party", invite all the members of the BOC (with gifts expected) and maybe just maybe we could come away with at least a pack of hooks or a tip to a hot spot for some good "cats".

7. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Side out there on some old creek channel ledges or even the old river channel,find some structure and fish the top edge.I've been doing pretty good the last few weeks.Those fish lying on the edges don't have to do nothing but go up and down to find a com-fee little spot.I'm on a lake ,so this may not help ya.We've caught two 30lbers and one 22lber and several over 15lbs doing this. Main thing is to stay out there and keep fishing till you fine the key zone.Good luck and tight lines :D

8. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Glad to hear that it's not me. I haven't caught anything in a few trips now. Looking forward to the weekend. It's a lot coller and it rained the lakes came up a bunch. Had some equipment trouble last weeekend and lost my first fish(hoping to break my bad luck). Instead i broke the line. Finally got a small one sunday so i hoping to get back into the groove.

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I would try and change locations diffrent rigs. Maybe its a just bad year in you part of the area. I wouldnt give up yet. Keep trying when you catch that one and break the curse you will be on your way. By the way a carp isnt bad ive been trying to land one of those all summer long. Finally did it was a huge one maybe even a record setter but as i and my fishing buddy where lifting him up the line snapped. As for me this has been possibly one of the best year of catfishing and i got the catfish fever bad as i have been doing so good.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sentry, welcome aboard!

11. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Mudhole,

If I still had a boat I would be doing just that.

I am looking for another boat now. So, hopefully, in the not to distant future I will get one and be able to prowl a lot of territory again. Sold my boat when I left SC in 86, when I moved back to TN. I was living in Newberry, SC and fished Lake Murray, where Saluda river emptied into it. Also, fished the river itself. Caught a lot of good cats and stripers there. SC in general has some great catfishing.

12. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hi CJ,

Thanks for the welcome. Good to be here and meet up with all of you.

Is that your bait your holding up there??? Haaa :grin-big:

13. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Bacardi,

I have had that happen so many times (probably not with a record setter but with a bunch of good sized fished). Most of the time I think that happens because we fail to check our lines for nicks and abrasions often enough. Or, it is due to bad knots or not retying a knot on a frequent basis.

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree this this was a huge carp sentry as we mainly my fishing buddy was pulling it up just heard a Snap thought the rod had snapped but line popped im thinking it was the Knot gave in if only we had a net that day....