Canoeing in winter?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mspratt, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Two dudes from Denver Colo,put in the river north of Omaha this last tuesday and plan on paddling to St.Louis.The St Joseph news press had a photo of them on the front page.They said that they have no support and no cell phone."We just want to see if we could do it"..I don't no about u but I would have picked a little warmer time of year to do this.River temp is 33,and its going to be running bank to bank icebergs soon.The photo in the paper showed them paddling down the river,no lifejackets that I could see,not on them or in the canoe.Not saying that this can't be done,they look like young guys and able looking,, with that set of deer antlers mounted on front of there small canoe..If any body down river see them post it on this thread,I'd like to know if they made it or is this a form of population control..........Your humble servant Mspratt and his river dog Buoy...........:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If they survive, it will be an adventure. In water that cold, they should be equipped of immersion should the canoe dump then in the water. That means a dry suit, a very expensive piece of equipment that will save your life. Essentially, it encases you in a waterproof set of clothes with seals at all the openings for neck, arms, and legs. The better ones have a way for a guy to pee, sorry ladies, not as easy for you. Besides life vests, which on a river like the Big Muddy, should be worn at all times, especially in a canoe, the canoe should be equipped with floatation bags. The bags are sort of misnamed. The canoe doesn't need extra flotation, but the bags displace water should the canoe get swamped.

These guys are fools if, as you say, they are doing it without proper gear. sounds like not much planning.

3. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Doesn't take much of a mistake to make yourself a big problem in a canoe in cold water.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I doubt they'll make it far, there's already ice chunks floating down the river!

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmmm I hope they have some kind of ice berg breaker mounted on the front of the canoe. I saw a couple big ones today.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They will probably do ok drifting the same direction with the ice, but I agree on the immersion suits. 33 degree water is nothing to mess with. Even in a life jacket they could freeze before getting to shore.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hope they find there bodies before I go fishing !:lol:

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    They are going to have to spend the nights somewhere and if no equipment for that, they are going to have some mighty cold nights too even if they don't get swamped.

Also with all this rain and freezing rain through Kansas and Missouri, they are in the the run of their life.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Seems like a sensible thing to do would be to check with Accuweather or NOAH before heading out. Bet the canoe didn't even have deck cloth attached.

10. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Hey Mark i am from St. Joseph and basically live on the river between fishn and huntn. Either way i saw the picture and read the caption. I can only say one thing. STUPID but funny. I cannot beleive these people that canoe was tiny and the whole thing was frozen solid.