Canoed the GMR from Miamisburg to Middletown

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Spencer_Blanton, May 10, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Tim (BigOnes) and I set off on a fool's errand about 6:00 pm yesterday. We set the canoe in at the Chataqua Dam in Miamisburg with the intension of making it to Post Town before dark. Needless to say, we didn't even make Twin Creek by dark. The later half of the journey was like what I can only describe as braile canoeing. We had to hear and feel our way through a lot of it. The rail tressle past Twin Creek was so cluttered with debris that we struggled to find a way through.

I was disappointed for the most part in the section from the Lion Bridge in Franklin to Twin Creek. I expected more holes and fallen trees. With one exception, there was mostly 4' flats. The exception I don't mind advertising because we won't fish there. Next to the discharge from the City of Franklin Water Treatment Plant is an 8' deep eddy with a tree fallen into it. I have no doubt that the hole would produce, but the smell of sewer is so strong that you'd have to have nose plugs to survive for long.

The SR123 and Lion Bridges had deep water at the pilons, but all other bridges we checked were shallow (3' or less).

We spooked a lot of large fish in the shallows once it got dark. I suspect most were carp. It looked like the canoe was being torpedoed as the swam for the deeper water. There was also a large hatch last night. I couldn't pick enough whole pieces out of my teeth and hair to figure out what they were. It started above the SR123 bridge and lasted until after Twin Creek. They looked too small to be Mayflies. I was in the back of the canoe, so Tim got the worst of them.

Few fisherman were out. It looked like a good night to fish. The only thing we took home was a pair of smelly and wet suckers.

:0a26:

Spencer

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Earlier this year, I think in late February, my brother and I did something like this up above Dayton. We went from the Wagner Ford bridge all the way to downtown. Then we had to turn around and canoe back. :crazy:

I think it was the worst experience of my life. It started off around 60 degrees, half way to downtown the weather changed a lot though. Canoeing downstream felt like upstream. There was a 25 mile an hour wind blowing in our faces. It ended sprinkling for a while, then it turned to snow. On the way back, it was pure hell. Upstream, wind, lots of shallow water, carrying the canoe couple hundred yards at time a few different sections of the river. I called in sick the next day, I was completely drained of all energy. We did this just to scout. It was pretty much a waste though, besides for the holes we already knew about, the water was pretty useless.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a freind and i canoed thart stretch looking for holes some years back. yes it is dissapointing (with one exception, im sure you seen it), we also put in at chataqua and floated to poastown. it took us a lot longer than we thought also, we left at about 2pm and didnt get there till right at dusk, but of course we stopped a few times. ive also canoed that stretch you talked about chubbahead, i do it about twice a year from taylorsville to keowee st just for fun, i cant even imagine going back upstream! you da man! lol

4. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my buddy and i just last saturday canoed from west carrolton to middletown, found 6 new holes that are worth fishing for sure, did you guys paddle threw the blown up dam at night, we did it during the day and it was awsome, nice rapids at the top of the hole, lots of stuff sticken up it would be crazy at night!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I guess I'd have to see it for myself but all the logs and debris you guys are talking about sounds like good fishing to me.I catch big flatheads on the muskingum in 3 to 4 feet of water along single logs laying near the bank this time of year. They aint in the deep holes they're swimming the banks looking for spawning spots. sounds like you guys need to slow down and fish these shallow spots again.

6. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah buddy we found that dam in the dark boy that was an experience. I thought for sure I was going in the water and it seemed like it was deep there too. I know it was deeper than 10ft wish I wouldn't of forgot the batteries in the smartcast fishfinder. It looks like a prime spot. I would also like to see that spot by the bridge with all the timber. It was too dark to see and I am sure that it had a few good holes around. We where more concerned with finding a way through it to look for a spot.

7. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah that spot by the bridge is weird i dont know if it would be good, it looks amazing with all that wood in the water, it about 7 feet deep in spots but other spots are shallower. im wondering if fish would hold there? im gonna have to try that spot when it warms up. yea when we were canoeing it we didnt think we would get through it , there were alot of logs pilled up! turned ou there were some openings.

8. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah luckly we found one of the openings and it was only about 3 foot wide. Luckly Old Spencer hrd a heck of a navagator :wink:. Yeah right luckly He steered us inbetween there cause that would of been a wet/cold drink of water.