Canoe trips on the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Yellowboat, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    any one know of Canoe trips on the James in spring for smallmouth or shad (maybe even on a fly rod) ? or just a site seeingtrip. we do ok on our own catfishing but she wants a change every now and then.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Plenty of Shad in downtown Richmond. Ramp just downstream 1/4 mile from Interstate 95 bridge. There is a new ramp right above the 14th street bridge on the Northside of the James. It's just below the last major rapid on the James. The Game commission has a map of the James and all the ramps from above Lynchburg to Newport News. Lots of good smallmouth fishing anywhere above Richmond. Call the Game commission for a map.
    804 367-9369:)

3. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    thanks for the heads up

4. mikeadkins5

mikeadkins5 New Member

Try James River Reeling and Rafting in Scottsville, Va. My wife and I, along with two of our grown daughters and their boyfriends took a one day trip using James River Reeling and Rafting canoes and had a blast. Below is their website. Great people.

http://www.reelingandrafting.com

5. Yellowboat

Yellowboat New Member

State:
    carolina
    great site ! thanks i was just looking at that this am at the office. thanks again folks

6. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    from eagle rock to big island, about 30 miles threr are several public landings and GREAT smallmouth [and catfish] on this whole section. my favorite float is buchanan to arcadia about 6 miles. good luck
    -chip

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    A good website that I always go to, to check the current river levels and conditions is www.jamesriver.com. They also outfit canoes, kayaks, and rafts. They are located at Hatton Ferry.

Wheelmobile07

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I do a lot of float trips and fishing on the upper James from Eagle Rock to Big Island. Some of the best fishing is from Arcadia to Snowden but I wouldn't suggest it this time of year unless you have dry suits. There are some tricky rapids and a good chance of getting wet. The whole area has some really good fly fishing and it's a great place to do some wading in the spring and summer.

9. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Willie, ialso fish upper james alot in spring summer fall in a canoe, i cathch alot of nice smallmouth. Any suggestions on a place to catfish from the bank? I catfish alot on new river but i like the james. By the way i live in roanoke also, near dixie caverns, and fish by my self about 1/2 the time if you ever want to go fishing let me know. I have 2 canoes and a small jon boat. Hopefully by spring i'll have my big boat ready again, 18 1/2 foot center console.
    chip

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    There are a lot of good places to fish from the bank along the James. Just below the Parkway bridge is good. Where the Maury comes in is also good. I've caught a lot of 10# and better channels at a camp site 150 yards up stream from the mouth of the Maury, (on the James). The Woodyard at natural Bridge Station is also pretty good. Park below the bridge and walk 100-150 yards down stream. There are some downed trees there that usually hold Flatheads. A buddy of mine catches a lot of Flatheads right below the Snowden Dam but there are a lot of snags there so bring plenty of hooks and sinkers. It's a steep climb down so be careful. The boat ramp at GP paper mill in Big Island is good too. There are a lot of railroad ties in the water there from the last flood. Cats love to lay under them and catch bream coming out of Reed Creek.

11. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Billie, thanks for the info on the james. i look forward to trying these. Have you ever catfished just upstream from the 501[or 130?] bridge? I camped out and fished between the foot bridge and railroad bridge last fall-didn't even get a hit. maybe just a bad night? look forward to fishing with you sometime.
    Chip

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Chip, we refer to that area as Snowden desert! I think you are talking about the area across the road from the boat ramp. There is nothing in there. I had the same lack of luck when I fished it years ago. It looks like a good place but it is really a waste of time. Several years ago they drained the lake down and I found out why there is no fish there. The place has zero structure in it. It is just a big flat sandy bottom. The only fish are in the top end of the lake where the fast water hits the slow water. There are a lot of boulders there but you have to walk 1/2 mile up the tracks, put a boat in at the ramp, or canoe in from Glasgow. The area down below the dam is much better and much easier to get to. Down there it is one big boulder field with plenty of structure but, like I said, there are a lot of snags also. Down past the bridge at the power station there are several places to fish on both sides of the river or you can park at the power station and go down the bank right below the dam. The best place in that whole area is at Balcony Falls but once again you have to canoe in from Glasgow. There are good camping places just above and just below Balcony Falls with fresh water available and gravel "beaches" to camp on.

13. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Where the Maury enters the James is one of the best spots that I found on the entire upper portion of the James this year when we were taking out float trips for smallies.

Wheelmobile07

14. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That's also a great place for cats. If you took out there, you missed some of the best. From there down to Snowden lake is awesome. A half mile down stream is Balcony Falls and Little Balcony. There are huge rock formations all over that area that hold a lot of fish. You can eddy out behind any boulder and just slay the Smallmouth. That's another place I SCUBA dive and besides recovering all kinds of things canoeists lose, there are tons of BIG Smallies down there and catfish laying up under the rock ledges and in deep holes. The right side of the river is National Forest so you can camp anywhere along the banks.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I Love those areas of the upper James, I will be making trips up there for many more summers to come. Me and my buddy that went had a blast and caught more fish than you could even count.

Wheelmobile07