Canoe Stabilizers

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jailcop2, May 29, 2008.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hi All, anyone have any plans for making outrigger stabilizers for a canoe ?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I don't have any plans, but plenty of ideas...

I've heard of guys using pool noodles, those long pieces of closed-cell foam, made like a thick-walled straw. A piece of 3/4" PVC fits nicely through the hole to provide some rigidity. You can then build some supports with PVC or lumber or something, and attach it to the canoe.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with, as I am thinking about doing something similar, but only if it can be done cheaply.

Good luck!

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the idea . I started on something today, 3in PVC 30in long . Then I cut 1 end at an angle and taped it off , then I started to fill it with great foam. I found some T's that reduce to 2in . Will have to figure how much drop I need using the 2in , then 2in for the cross member and how to attach it to the canoe. Will let you know , Ideas welcome.
    Brian

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I wonder if a couple pieces of all-thread from the crossmember to the float would be a decent way to go, since it could be made adjustable. The foam-filled PVC sounds cool... Let me know how it goes. Should be durable, for sure.

I have a couple of 5-gallon plastic containers (they used to be full of olives) that are pretty streamlined, so I'll probably use those as floats. I might get a chance to work on mine in the next few days, and I'll see if I can get some pics up.

5. daisy102998

daisy102998 New Member

I am extreely especially since the ones that are for sale are in the $200-$300 range

6. Ol'Yeller

Ol'Yeller New Member

State:
    Texas
    3/4" rigid conduit works really good, and it's relatively cheap. I made one for my kayak. You can bend the conduit to rocker your buoys so that they don't draft much. I like to use the 3" pool floats. Total cost is about $30. Thats pretty cheap considering that Ocean Kayak charges over $200 for their after market stabilizers. Just food for thought. Tried with the PVC, but it bends too much.

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Check out the KFS forum. I've seen several people use RAM tube holders to attach the stabilizers to the boat. Then they use PVC for the horizontial arm that holds the stabilizer. The stabilizer is usually one of those long buoys people hang on their boats when docking or crab pot buoys.
    I like the RAM holders because you can adjust them easy and swing the stabilizer inside your canoe if needed.

8. kayakcattin

kayakcattin New Member

State:
    texas
    i just made an outrigger for the yak with a deck so i could stand up to fish. tried in out and it worked great. i will load the plans and pictures soon. tell me what you think!