Canoe Sale, finally!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Jammer, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :eek:oooh: I've been waiting on a sale on Canoes all winter. Finally Dick's Sporting Goods is having a $50 to $100 reduction on their canoes. I'm getting a 3 person, 14' canoe for a little less than $300. Now I'll have a few weeks to get it ready for the water. I hope to take it to small lakes and reservoirs in my area where they don't allow motors. I also want to take it to the Muskingum River to go south of Ellis Lock for some Flatheads.
    Can't Wait, now I really have cabin fever!!:tounge_out:

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    did you happen to get a price on a one man

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Congrats on the canoe, By the way I can't remember the brand that Dicks carry's for 300$, But check it out. if its the one that i looked at last year for about 300$ , it will get a hole in it by rubbing against a rock. If you can, it it well worth it to spend 430$ on the Old Towne Guide 14, I've had one for 2 years and have done everything from flatwater to class 3+ rapids with no problems. Dicks also sells these. I just remembered the brand to stay away from-Pelican.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Congrats on the new canoe

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Sounds like a good deal.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry congrats on your new canoe. I hope you catch a lot of fish from it. Be careful trying to bring a big flattie on board. Ha.Stay Safe and Dry.:big_smile:

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    James, It was $50 off any over $300 and $100 off any over $600 , I think. And that was all Canoes and Kayaks.

They sell Pelican, Old Town, and Northeast Outfitters. I'm getting the Northeast Outfitters. I not going white water, so I didn't want the extra weight and cost of the Old Town. I just plan on paddling my Honey around. Especially since it was my Valentine Present.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    In addition to my Olde town, I also have a 14' northeast outfitters. It is a good overall canoe and supriseingly it will hold alot of weight. Me and a buddy took it last summer on a three day float on the James river in VA, and when we started I wasn't sure it would make it we had so much stuff, but it did fine. We just had to drink the beer fast before the fast water.lol

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Pelican paddles poorly compared to the Old Town. Also, the material that Pelican builds with doesn't hold up. Old Town isn't, for the most part, a white water builder, more into recreation and fishing. The Guide, for the money, is difficult to beat. The Pelican will do fine for a while, but the Old Town is a life time, or nearly so, canoe.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You are going to Flathead fish below Ellis... in a canoe?!?!

I can see the headline now. "Tow Bill of $350.00 by Giant Catfish given to local canoe fisherman" :lol:

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Heck I am jealous. I couldn't even fit all my gear in a 14 foot canoe lol

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Pelicans aren't the only ones...the material in question is HDPE-High Density PolyEthylene. Or if you prefer, milk jugs.

The manufacturer advises that it is vulnerable to abraision, and is unrepairable, which is not technically correct. It can be welded, but the cost of the equipment is nearly as high as one of the boats.

They should be sold at ToysRUs.

13. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I agree. i have had a few canoes and for the price and quality my old towne giude is great! I fish big and small rivers and love it. It handles good solo or with 2 people.

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm hoping I can get a big Flathead to pull me back upstream to the Lock.
    I saw a guy down their last year with a homemade boat. Basically it was a piece of plywood with four sides on it. He had a trolling motor and buzzed off down steam. He came back a couple hours later, and had one small Flathead.

15. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, Im going down Monday to pick it up. You've got me thinking, they are holding a plastic one for me but I will take a closer look at the Old Town. Can you take out the center bar and put in a third seat? I need somewhere to put my 12 year old. Do they stay that shiny or do they scuff up over time?

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    My Old Town Camper is made of Oltonar, Old Town's version of Royalex...high end plastic, if you'll buy into an oxymoron.:smile2: It's about 20 years old, and quit being shiny 19 years ago.

You can remove the center thwart, and replace it with a seat. I cut one side of my seat to the shape of a portage yoke, and it works fine.

Good luck...you're gonna love the world of canoes, promise.

17. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I have owned a Coleman Scanoe for over 20 years. It is essentially a 17' canoe one end cut off and a motor transom added. Back in the day we fished everything from lakes to rivers in this boat first with a 1.2 HP Aquabug then with a 5 HP Sears air cooled.
    We have also run some milder rivers in this boat with no ill effects. The local chapter of the Carolina Canoe club owns quite a few Coleman canoes that they loan to members. You can imagine they don't get the best of care. I have not really heard any thing bad about them except they are kinda pigs to paddle in real bad water. Of course given the cost of these boats I would not expect world class performance.
    When we were kids we spent a lot of weekends on Piedmont NC rivers in small Jon boats. We could not afford canoes so we borrowed Jon boats for our adventures. I still own a my Coleman Scanoe but for general fishing i think you are better served with an Ozark style Jon boat, long and narrow. They will go 90% of the places a pig pig of a canoe will go and are more stable on a lake.
    IMHO

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Old Town sells a drop in plastic center seat. I'm not sure you would have to remover the center thwart. I'm not to fond of making those kind of modifications to small boats, the thwart is there for more than just looks. Tacke a look at the Guide canoe and see if Dicks sells the drop in seat. Usually, it retails for around $60 and may be less at Dicks.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    jammer igot a drop in canoe seat in a bunch of stuff i bought in an auction.pm me your address and ill send it to you or bring it to a gathering if i can.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

If Jammer doesn't take the seat, let me know, I need one for my 4 year old grandson.