Canoe or Kayak---Dog and Me

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by oh no, Jul 30, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 16' plastic or something like it, orangeish red canoe, that I bought at an auction.I have only tried it once on the neighbors pond. Boy it scoots with not much paddling.

I'm thinking of getting one of those cheap trailers Lowe's has to haul it and my big cooler behind this little Mazda5, we just just picked up to save gas and go camping. I always take my dog with me. Bo is a 90 pound Lab/Rot cross. He rides good in my boat but I have never tried him in the canoe.

Gas prices what they are, I want to down size. No more F 250 with a truck camper pulling a 19' boat. No more 7-8 miles per gallon.

Mazda5 gets 25+, so TN and Ginger Bay on KY Lake are more affordable.

Can a dog get to riding good in a canoe?? I don't think he would fit in a kayak.

I weigh 260 and am 6' tall.

I'm still trying to get this downsizing down. I have tents and lanterns and stoves. I used to tent camp, then I thought in my old age, I would splurge and get a truck camper. Now 4 dollar gas has made my camper and 19 foot boat look like foolish purchases.

I think I can still run jugs and fish for bait with a canoe or kayak. I'm thinking of getting one of those kayak paddles[ double deals ] rather than using canoe paddles as Bo won't paddle, so it will just be me powering it.

Any idea's or suggestions will be appreciated.

Oh No

2. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I've taken my dogs on many canoe trips, some dogs take to better than others, I had a lab retriever mix that was great, somehow she knew to stay centered in the boat etc. my current dog.. another lab mix seams to think that she needs to dart from side to side which can get a bit unstable but not to bad, she will learn. I would say go for it, another thing you could do is mount up a trolling motor on the canoe.. better than you having to be sole source of power etc.

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Teach your dog to sit if he doesnt already know the command. You need to be able to do it from a distance so that when he is in the front and your in the back he will follow your commands. With his weight and yours, you guys should be a well balanced team. If you did get a kayak, the fishing ones have whats called tank wells behind the seat. Plenty of room for a dog of any size and he would be closer to you. The only advantage I see to a kayak for you, is that its alot easier to get you and your dog back in if you go over. I would suggest getting a life jacket for your dog, unless your fishing small ponds and streams only. Be safe, have fun.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Jim, don't forget to check out Native Watercraft's Ultimate 14.5 Solo hybrid: http://www.nativewatercraft.com.

This craft is an outstanding hybrid kayak/canoe that sports enough stability that you can fish standing! It still paddles great, though.

I believe it is certainly worth the investment.

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
  7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally I'd put some racks on the top before I'd pull a trailer.

8. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    I have the Malibu X Factor and My Lab rides the back and my Chihuahua Frightfully rides the front, then we all go for a swim and its funny will look for pics. Im 5'9" 300+ best thing you can buy or a CObra fnd which I also have both are great!

9. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth