Canoe Fishing Murrells Inlet

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by BassCat1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Good Day All - I'm heading down to Myrtle Beach 2nd week of Sept. Would like to take the canoe and do some inshore salt fishing. I've pretty much got my equipment & tactics down, but I know very little about possible access points to get to these waters. Can anyone help?

I welcome your opinions and thoughts! Mark

"SLOW DOWN A LITTLE....YOU'RE MISSING ALL THE FISH!"

2. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I'm going down this Friday for a week, I'm interested in hereing what folks have to say about fishing around the inlet and off the piers!

I have a charter set up for Moultrie to try to get some cats and stripers on Monday night, but will be taking my takle to fish the intercoastal and piers as well.

Help us, please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Michael - Good Luck down there...Let us know how you did. I am interested in learning more about your experience. May I ask the saltwater species you will be targeting and your bait(s) of choice.

I'm hoping the redfish and trout are picking-up when we go down. I'll be trying to keep it simple. Off the pier(s), I'll almost exclusively be throwing a hadmade jig that will imitate a small shrimp. Just about anything that swims down there will hit this so it's pot luck when you hook-up! I may mess with some sand fleas for sheepshead also. In the Bays, etc, I'll use Spooks and I like the Lucky Craft 78 jerkbait in baitfish silver. I put on some red heavier gamakatsu hooks and splitrings and start slingin'!

I'd like to hear about some of your lures of choice!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Take care.If you are not careful,you could end up fishing the Carolina and Georgia coast clear to Jacksonville Fla.The tide and wind can take you away.Good luck and have a wonderful trip.peewee-williams

5. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    That is good advice, Pee Wee. I'm more used to the upstate lake fishing. I've actually endured a couple nail-biters on Jocassee when i was growing up and didn't know any better, but you can be sure I play it pretty safe these days. 30 yrs. of canoeing has helped me recognize my limits. Hey, even if the fishing doesn't work out, I can still lay on the beach with some frosty adult bevrages.....:cool2:

6. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Mark:
    I'm a virgan at the pier and salt water thing. I'll be fishing with my daughter (14) so I hope on the piers we just get to catch something that will be decent table fare. I'll probable fish mostly cut or live bait. I spent some time on the SC DNR site yesterday and it has a welth of info on both fresh and salt water fishing.

I catch a lot of eating size cats up here so Moultrie will give us a chance to hook into some biggen's hopefully!

I will take plenty of pics to post when I return and will update on how I did!

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good luck to all of you with the fishing. As for pier fishing, it can be hit or miss. Many people try to go as far out as they can, cast away from the pier as far as they can...not always the best way. A lot of fish are caught right in the area where the breakers are, and near the pilings (structure!) of the pier.
    Let us know how you guys do. :big_smile:

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Hi Guys, Murrells inlet has a coupla places to launch from and should be good fishin throughout the marsh and inlet. there are fishin piers scattered up and down the coast but the pier? at murrells inlet is just a boardwalk alongside the canal leading to Capt. Dicks resturant and launchin ramp.
    my last canoe turned over abt 1/2 mi out (baad canoe):embarassed:
    and I got rid of it. there is a bunch of kayaks occasionally out there so why not? comeon down!

9. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Big Eli - I agree with Tommy....Pier fishing can be hit or miss. That's why I prefer to throw a simple jig. You only really need to cast about 15-20 ft. out because the majority of bait will be hugging the pilings. Plus, with a jig, I can cover a little more water. I have used dead needlefish threaded onto a hook for Snook down in S. Florida., but other than that I don't have much experience.

I don't know if "snitching" is legal on the pier or not, but that is a way to maybe keep a youngster interested in the fishing trip. He or she could be "responsible" for catching your live bait. then, If you get bit they can be rewarded by letting them fight the fish for a while. I always got a thrill out of that when I was a younster fishing with my Uncle Gene down in Naples.

10. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Lionel - Can you suggest where I may get a local map for the Murrell's Inlet area? I'd like something fairly well detailed. I'll try the Internet...DUH:confused2:

Have you spent any time out in the marsh or inlet? What would be your opinion on chances of fishing success around the first full week of September and do you have any particular suggestions? species, tactics, timing, etc.?

Thanks for your time & consideration!

Mark

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Mark, I tried the inlet a few years ago. but got rid of my canoe, got a motor boat and had motor trouble so I sold it. I know the piers round here close around 10-12 at nite. I fish a coupla fresh water places around here for catfish occasionally. I don't eat much fish so it don't take many trips to keep some in the freezer.
    go to mapquest for one and you can see the area. I got my inlet map at tackle shop near there. basspro, they gotta change the name(catfish and other stuff pro?) is abt 15 mi N. and they should have some.
    there are some saltwater sites on internet but I am usually just on here wishin I needed more catfish so I could go fishin! :roll_eyes:
    pm me when you are comnin and I will try to help anyway I can. Lionel