Canning

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by justwannano, Feb 28, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Anybody can veggies etc outside?
    I've been wanting to get a woodburning cookstove to use in canning but have you seen the prices they get for those?
    Sooo I would like to build one.
    Anybody seen plans for a homemade one?
    What I'd probably do is store it in a shed until canning time and then just haul it to the backyard to cook on.
    Someday I'd like to have an unattached summer kitchen but thats a long time from now.
    any ideas?
    thanks in advance
    just

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do all my canning inside, but have been wanting to start doing it outside as well. I have an old stove in the garage that I'm planning on using this year.:big_smile:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A screened summer kitchen, no matter the heat. Wood tough to control. An old range that usually has the oven shot but has a good range top for putting your pressure cooker or boiling pots on. Can be found for nothing. Just hook it to bottle gas or your tank if you have an LP tank.

4. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey, what about using a turkey fryer. you can pick one up a yard sell cheap

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    oh god there aint nothing better than a houseful of chili sauce simmerin on th stove in the middle of september.:big_smile: :cool2:

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They don't cost that much new. I just got another because mine quit in the middle of a lead melting project. It cost me 39 dollars at Meijers and came with a 30 quart pot and lid.

The biggest pot I had for tomatoes was 20 quarts, lol now I have a 30 quart one. I cut me a piece of 5/16"s plate to go over the burner, so this summer I wont scorch those tomatoes.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've used the warmer burner on my LP gas grill for pressure and water bath canning. Works just fine. It's just one burner though.

8. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    The only thing about a wood burner would be controlling the heat like you need to. One thing about a gas stove, you can turn it on and as high as you need it or reduce the heat quickly or shut it off when done. I've got one in an outside shed by the garden hooked to a 100# propane bottle. All the mess and heat are out of the house. So nice to go from the garden over to the shed and prepare everything right there.