canning peppers

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by CountryHart, Jul 10, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Anyone tell me how to pickle jalapeños peppers? I got some ready to put up as soon as i pick em. Richard posted a recipe for pickled okra but don't know if it's universal.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,It will be very close if not the exact same for the vinagar and water mix and the salt. I use the same in mine and add the baby carrots and onion quarters to the peppers ,along with garlic,helps streach the peppers and add a little variety to the jars.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Netman Jack just gave me a jar of sweet ones.....GOOOOD!!

I'm sure u can PM him.

:wink:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks fellows, i too like to the carrots and califlower in mine.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    also use 1 bay leaf, 1/2 vinager and 1/2 olive oil, onion, garlic,carrot and season salt makes a good pepper water bath 5 min

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    any dill pickle recipe will work just remember to not reduce the vinegar percentage in the solution. more is fine.

imho- using oil to can with is a major no-no unless you have a pressure canner and are using published recipes that have been tested. im not saying it will make you sick- im saying it could.

one of the canning forums i belong to has posts occasionally mention canning with oil and the forum police go crazy. here is one of the sites, operates just like catfish1, its free too, sign up and post, ask questions and get them answered correctly. lots of knowledgeable people there too, authors of canning manuals, chefs, etc etc as well as workin stiffs like us.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/

last year we tried a batch that we used lime on. it for sure made them crispy even thru today but the texture is weird. they are pickled no doubt but crunchy as if they were fresh raw peppers. the only thing i like crunchy on my nachos are the doritos. LOL

*note im speaking of pickling lime, not the green citrus fruit.

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Chad, thanks for that. I didn't know they had that and I've been a member there for over 8yrs.

:004:

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    that gardenweb domain ive been in myself for quite awhile and am still discovering new forums in there. that harvest forum is great, search the archives with a question first,,, its most likely been asked before. a couple yrs ago was a big thread about oil canning with tips and tricks etc... but the canning gods made it crystal clear procedures are recipes were to be followed explicitly.

i screwed up myself many moons ago. preserved a ton of fresh peeled garlic in olive oil. cooked with it for about a month till it ran out. luckily i didnt get sick. thats the most perfect breeding ground for botulism there is. that bug loves garlic and loves oil. with all the health worries in proper canning its a miracle our grandparents ever survived. following established recipes or adhering to proper techniques i can honestly say ive never had a home canned product make me or my family sick. recipes i come up with on my own i always test out on myself first too. enough, there is plenty of canning how to's on that other thread.

glad to help,
    bear