cannelton river in kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Jun 21, 2009.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished cannelton last night until I was forced off the water by the brief storm that rolled through. I checked weather.com several times and the storm was never mentioned but it was surely there. The wind picked up quickly and lightening was everywhere. We were tossed around and thought about making a run for the shore and wait it out but when both anchor lines snapped we decided to head for the ramp. The westerly wind made it slow going with 2-3 foot swells crashing over the bow. Ithought I was on the latest episode of deadliest catch!:sad2:

The funny thing was there is a fish that I believe is carp jumping out of the water and crashing into the boat. They hit my outboard, both sides and one almost jumped in the boat when it flew across the bow and hit my trolling motor. We did manage to catch 2 channels before all hell broke loose! Just a reminder that the river and boating can be a lot of fun but can it all can turn bad quickly..it took us an hour and 20 minutes to reach the ramp at a speed of less than 5 mph. We pretty much let the current drift us to the dam and the motor was used just to keep us from running a ground! becareful this year and god bless!:big_smile:

2. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    The funny thing was there is a fish that I believe is carp jumping out of the water and crashing into the boat. They hit my outboard, both sides and one almost jumped in the boat when it flew across the bow and hit my trolling motor

That would be asian carp I once saw a big one jump in a boat and hit a guy in the chest! :eek:oooh:

3. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yep. Asian carp. I stand at the dam with a 8/0 treble hook and cast out in the boiling water. FROM THE BANK :) I hook one almost every cast. I let my friend use my abu 5500 there the other day and he hooked one and lost ALL the line I had on that reel. He fought it until it came to the end of the line, and he couldnt get it. It snapped my 50# line. Heres a small one I caught like that...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64646&d=1245559002

It sure can be fun... And they get BIG too.

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    with that lb test line i would have just tightened down the drag all the way and show that fish whos boss.... u should have been able to turn him if u did that.