Cannelton Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by usat212, Jul 16, 2008.

1. usat212

usat212 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Me and the wife was thinking about going this weekend. Can anyone tell us if the fish has started biting again. We went 3 week ago and didnt do very good. We couldnt even get the skippjack to bite. If the darn gas wasnt so high it wouldnt be so bad!!! We was also wandering if the river is still muddy? Thanks for any help.

2. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished there last Friday. We put in around six and fished till midnight. We did catch seven but the biggest fish was around eight pounds. We did not fish for bait, we brought our own. I have my best luck here on large shinners. There is a bait house just around the corner from the ramp that is great(Outback Bait House). I love to fish this part of the river but it is about an hour drive for me. I hope to learn more about this part of the river. The river here in Brandenburg is clearing up. I hope to see you at Cannelton some time,maybe we can help each other with info. Give me a call if you would like Kirk 945-9342. Good luck:big_smile:

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A bunch of us (BOC brothers from Indiana & Kentucky) are going to be camping at Rocky Point Marina on the weekend of July 25th. You should try to come over, it would be a good opportunity to meet some of the folks from the site.

4. usat212

usat212 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the replies. We will probaly try to go Saturday evening. We have to drive 72 miles one way so the gas price is stopping us from going as much as we would like. Last year we was up there just about every weekend in the summer. It is our favorite place to fish. We usually use bluegill but they havent been hitting them like last year. Thats why we were trying for skippjack. It will be awful hot out there this weekend, that is the reason we are waiting untill evening to go and fishing during the night. Thanks again

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think the trip will be well worth the price of gas. By most accounts the spawn is complete and people are catching good numbers of fish. Good luck

6. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Tried to make it to Cannelton Friday night. I was comeing from Brandenburg and was traveling along the river. When I got to Stephensport, the bridge was closed to traffic so I turned around. When I got back on the road I lost a wheel bearing on my boat trailer.:crazy: Better luck next time. Did I miss anything?

7. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Sorry for your bad luck. You didn't miss much though. I fished Cannelton from the boat from about 7:00 pm till 11:00 pm and only had one bite the whole night and didn't see anybody else catch anything either. Don't know where they're at. The fish finder was even barren of arches!

8. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish up around the dam quite a bit, from the bank though. The fish are starting to bite better than they have been over the past 2 or 3 weeks. A friend of mine has been catching 10-20 lb blues and flats like crazy. Last week someone caught a 70 lb blue below the dam.

9. usat212

usat212 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well we went Saturday evening and stayed until 11 and only got one bite. The fish just wasnt there like normal. I dont understand what is going on. We even caught skippjack and tried them and still nothing. We usually do pretty good this time of year. There were alot of boats out there and we didnt see anyone else catch anything. So atleast we wasnt the only ones that wasnt catching anything. We might try again in 2 week. Thanks

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i pulled out a 47 lbs'er around 6 pm today cought on fresh cut skip. I only cought 5 skipps and was picking up a few little stripes skip fishing. had two cat poles out with cut skip on both with a few light hits and the one slam witch was cought and relocated.

11. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Bet i know where that cat was relocated to [ a little farm pound somewhere around rough river?] Give me a led on where to catch those skippers at in cannolton Please. Thanks Aaron

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my pond is too small for that size of a cat . he would be the only fish in it in less than a week he would eat every thing else. but I was getting skips from the bank at cannelton from the sand to the big rocks just about any were in that area you'll pick some up but keep in mind its real slow right now so you can say mabey 1 skip about every 10 to 15 mins about.