Cannelton Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by metalman, May 18, 2007.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    In England they don't have anything like Skipjack, White Bass, Saugers, Stripers or Hyrbrids. I have some friends coming over on vacation, we will be staying on the Ohio river close to Cannelton Dam. If any of the above are running where would be the place to cast for them below the dam? Thanks...W

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey metalman, how's it goin? man, cannelton is hot right now. read my post in the fishing report section(thank GOD it's may) anyway, as for the skips, just get anywhere below the dam that has good current and cast anything you have in your tackle box and you'll load up on em! they are everywhere right now. i was catching them on chartruese 1 1/2" curly tail grubs. also caught them on white and yellow. it really didnt matter what color i was using. they are thick right now. if you have sabiki rigs they should work just fine. when i left from over there wednesday evening, they were working the top of the water as far as you could see down river. i put 12 blues on the bank wednesday. if i could have gotten every fish in that i had on i would've probably had 30 or more. i'm assuming you have never been over there and that you will be fishing from a boat. drift the lock wall. keep about 15 to 20 feet off of it and you should wear them out! when are you guys gonna be over there? maybe we could hook up. i fish those waters almost exclusively and i could show ya a few hot spots. pm me if ya want.

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    oh yeah, i can put you on some hybrids and stripes also. the sauger bite isnt very hot now, best to fish them in the colder months.

4. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    how far is cannelton dam from winchester ky which is near lexington

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Slip,
    It's about 170 miles...W

6. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    catto, we might try it wed. Do we need to fish from the rocks or the sand area. I notice it going to be at 12 feet that's pretty low . thanks Darryl

7. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Catto do the cats bite at night time down there. Thanks Darryl

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the cats are in the rocks. they might be prowling the sanbar at night but early in the morning and late in the evening they will be in the rocks. i will be over there thursday around 3:00 to try em again.

9. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fished above Cannelton Dam on Sunday night, we got one channel cat but only got to fish about 1 hour and had to come off the water due to a problem. I put in at cloverport and ran the stream down to the Ohio River, we didn't mark very many fish but we did go up stream from there about 10 Miles, without marking very many fish that afternoon and evening.

Winston went to the dam that evening and he only got about 12 skips, he said it was hard to get any. Monday Morning I think Winston told me he got about 6 Channels and one flathead about 12 lbs.

10. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Fished Cannelton today from the boat. We tried drifting the lock wall but didn't have any luck there so we moved towards the rocks and caught three blues weighing about 8 pounds each drifting the current break. We then anchored pretty close to the rocks and in about two hours managed to pull in three 15's and one that went 24. All were caught on skipjack right in the edge of the swift water.

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    thats what i'm talking about brother!! they're in the break. that's where i caught em last week. i hate trying to fish that thing from a boat. much more productive from the bank.

12. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey cannelton fisherman. yesterday me and my brother fish there for about 5 hrs. we caught 1 channel and 4 big hybrid stripes on cut skip. I finally learn the secret to catching blue down there. i am not to stable walking on those big rocks so that leaves me out. if they don't come over out in front of the dam i just screwed. we did get some monster pulls right before dark. then they just quit biting. the water was dropping,it went down a foot and half while were fishing. but we did have a good time and talk to acouple of people there that showed us the ropes there. in closing good luck to all that fish down there and keep pulling them in. Darryl

13. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I should be there Sun. night through Mon. morning. :big_smile:

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    fished cannelton yesterday from 3:30 til 6:30. caught 2 small blues and i flat about 7 pounds. the water was low and the freakin gar were everywhere! lucky i got anything at all. skips were also hard to come bye. i think i caught 5. some guy said he wore em out the day before but the water had dropped almost 2 feet so thats probably why they were scarce. did hook one real good fish though. he slammed my rod and doubled it over. i grabbed it, set the hook and thought" oh yeah, this is what i've been waiting for". but it was not to be. the battle only lasted a few seconds and my line snapped! must've had a bad spot. the bad thing about it is, i had just retied!!! must've not went far enough up the line. oh well, thats how it goes sometimes. i caught my last fish at around 6:00 and i had to go. i believe they were just getting ready to feed. i'm gonna try and make it back over sunday evening. man, we need some rain. they only had 2 gates open yesterday. that sucks.

15. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Cattoo !! Look for me Sun. evening. I will be in a Dk. green Jeep Cherokee and we will have a tent pitched nearby. My buddy that will be with me is a Cat nut also !!!! hope to see ya !!!
    John

16. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hey keith I ended up with 1 channel that was 3 to 4ish lbs but I think I talked to ya on the phone after that one but anyways later there were 2 blues that one was 10 and the other was 12 lbs and 2 flatties that were both about a 1/2 each and one gar pushing 25 lbs. all on the sand. well as you knew we pitched a tent friday night , well the channel and one of the flatties were caught that night about an hour befor dark and since I run off and left my glow sticks at the house I pulled in the lines for the night and the rest were caught about 2 hours after day break all within about an hour or two.there were a few people camped out I talked to a few of them and most were fishing for stripes with little to no luck they said. I seen 8 boats out but couldent tell if they were picking up anything or not. I couldent pick up any fresh bait I'm glad I took a bag from the freezer with me.

17. RegulatorX

RegulatorX New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where is Cannelton in relation to Louisville. Sounds like a place I would like to try.

18. catsey

catsey New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    HELLO! CANNELTON DAN IS ABOUT 80 MILES SOUTHWEST OF LOUISVILLE.
    I AM ABOUT 40 MILES. MAYBE WE COULD FISH THERE SOMETIME.
    TAKE CARE,JIM

19. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Fished Cannelton yesterday and it was dead water! Don't know what the problem is, but I've never been there and not caught a blue until yesterday. Not even one run!! They're doing a bunch of work in the long lock and that may have something to do with it. The barges are having to line up to get through and there's a barge with a large crane parked next to the wall with a very loud generator running 24/7. All the noise from it may have something to do with it.

20. buckie02

buckie02 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds like LRS, Louiseville Repair Station is working there. The generator barge should have nothing to do with the fish not biting, I've caught them next to it before. Not much water in the Ohio is probably the reason, no current.