Cannelton Dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by withone72, Jul 17, 2006.

1. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anyone have info on cannelton dam.Can u catch skipes there.when is a good time to fish it.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darryl, there is never a bad time to fish a dam the size of cannelton. As far as skips go, I would say there is times when you can catch them there, but I don't know when. Have you been there before? Vern

3. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I know that Bruce Midkiff caught his world record blue there years ago, but he would put in at Owensboro to get bait and then pull out and drive to Hawsville. If you see someone fishing it you might ask them about when the skips run. I know alot of sauger are caught there in the winter.

4. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Vern . I was there sat for the first time. Son had a baseball game in henderson,So i went fishing. I had some frozen herring that they just sucked the meat out of the skin. Water was very rough,is it always like that .

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have seen it "rocking" there at times, but if they only have a gate or two open it's not bad. Especially if the first and second gates are the ones open, cause the current break will be reachable from shore. Vern

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i love cannelton I try to fish there as much as i can. I live about 20 mins away from there. it was shown to me by a friend that also started me here with BOC. Its a great place to fish . we get some nice blues out of there.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    havent been over there in a couple weeks. i dont fish it much this time of year. if i do i usually fish the sand bar with dip bait for channels. i had the best may i have ever had though. simply phenomenal! the skips are usually everywhere. the problem with this year is they stocked about 500,000 stripers this year and that is about all you can catch! i sat there one evening and caught about 100 of them and only 4 skips! i may go over there this weekend and give it a whirl. havent been fishing in a couple of weeks and im about to forget how!

8. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    I'm heading down there myself in a couple weeks to give it a try. I'm really looking forward to it. I have heard of a lot of nice fish being caught up there. Is there anywhere close to get skips and shad? I can bring it with me if I have to but I would rather have it fresh.

9. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went to cannelton dam fri..I caught 2 channel cats.I fished for about 6 or 7 hrs. Used shad and D.K.had a few bites ,but nothing serious. The water is way down since my last time down there, about 15 feet from were we fished last.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    just got back from there. fished the rocks for about 4 hours. did not put a hook in anything. did have my rod double three times but was unable to get a hook set. skips were extremely difficult to come by. only caught 5. caught one mooneye too. the weather was a major factor i believe. the skips only surfaced for about 30 minutes just after daybreak and that was it. no shad action or nothing. the striper crowd werent even gettin anything. oh well. thats the way it bees like some time. i probably wont go back til the water starts rising.