Cannelton Dam boat goes down

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by o'boro cat hunter, Aug 4, 2008.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just heard on the news that a fishing boat went down at Cannelton 2 people missing.I will be praying for them and there family. Cannelton Dam isnt a very safe place to fish on a boat I take it. 3 brothers gone in alittle over a month. Thanks Aaron

2. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I hate to hear this. I fish this area a lot and it is dangerous. You have to pay close attention to every move. My thoughts go out to the family.

3. reloader1220_270

reloader1220_270 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i will be praying for them too bro

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Paryers sent from up river

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Aaron,
    It's all relative. No dam is a safe place to fish especially when guys insist on going past the danger line to get closer to the gates. Add not wearing life jackets to the situation and you have a recipe for disaster. Water is very unforgiving of bad choices.
    It amazes me that fishermen insist on proving this time after time and becoming statistics.
    These events will result in the entire dam area eventually being closed off to boats which will be a pity as that will put good bait and good catfishing off limits but the rule makers will feel they have to protect people from themselves.

I feel bad for these guys' families, so tragic and so unnecessary...W

6. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Just heard on the news that 2 boats went down one trying to save other,one boat and 2 people where saved 1 in critical condition,still looking for 1 boat and 2 people, both from different boats.Yes the first boat was inside the 150 foot warning area and only one had a life jacket[one of the living]how sad I've been their these really touches home .All where from Perry County Ind.So lets pray for their souls,their familys and that everyone gets the message.150 WARNING STAY BACK. LIFE JACKETS SAVE LIFES. So sad so preventable... Thanks Aaron :sad2::sad2::sad2:

7. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    prayers sent out from all over owensboro.

8. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea my dad told me about this last night

my prayers go out to their families and maybe the missing ppl will turn up somewhere

Im sure they died doing somthing they loved if not

sure hope they caught something

9. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    man, thats really sucks. i was just over there sunday fishing with a buddy of mine from his boat. he said he had heard something about that. while we were out we saw two guys actually tied off to one of the gates while it was closed. how crazy is that? also along the lock wall there are two spots that they pump water from that have signs above them stating to stay back 300 feet. i have seen guys get pinned against the wall behind these massive swells before. it is pretty scary to watch. i just wonder if this is what happened to these fellas. guys please be careful out there. fishing aint worth dying for.

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    to the men and their families. You know there is a boat ramp I have been looking at fishing, little activity there and there is a sign that says PFD required. This is for just being near the water on land. Catfish got really upset that I would not stay and fish there, but the older I get, the more mortal I feel. Please wear the PFDs guys and gals. Drowning is an avoidable accident.:sad2:

11. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Prayers from WV for the men and their families. Always very sad when you hear things like this.

12. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    The two men missing from this accident where found yesterday two hours apart and 100 yards apart, about 300 to 400 yards from dam. One of these men found is an absolute HERO. Truley one sad story. Thanks Aaron

13. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I realy hate to hear about stories like this but what do people think when in that type of water in an over loaded 14 foot john, man it's unreal I seen one of the boats recovered and I myself fish down there a lot and the boats people are putting behind that dam dont belong there at all. Mabey KDFW needs to put a minumum boat size for being inside the red buoy point. and you are right Aaron that man that lost his life trying to help the first boat is a true 110% HERO in my book!!!!!!!

you got to respect mother nature she is not judgemental and plays for keeps.

14. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Being that close to the dam is no place for any size boat. The signs are posted for a reason, yet some people seem to think that they're special and nothing can happen to them. None of this would have happened if they would have stayed back the required 150 feet. It's a real shame.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i just got some new info on this tragedy. the guys who got in trouble initially had actually thrown their anchor into a boil and got sucked into the dam. we were just over there thursday and let me tell ya, they will not let you get inside the 150 yard line. we accidentally drifted a little past it and a guy came down and told us to get back. just a little info. be careful out there guys. peace.