Cannelton - Caught Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Mar 16, 2009.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well,

We hit cannelton Sunday and hoped for the best. The Pool was up to about 19 feet and some change and slightly stained. All 12 gates were open some but the water was running hard. We did manage to hang 2 blues in the 10lb. range but that was it. There is a lot of debris still below the surface" grass, leaves, etc.. Fishable but painful at times. We transitioned to the ramp by Cloverport off of hwy 105. Ran into some guys who claimed to have gotten into some smaller cats and crappie but we couldnt confirm. We did run into the largest shad population I have ever witnessed. If you ever need bait grab a net and head toward the mud flats! As always god luck to you all and be safe out there this year!

2. kycatter

kycatter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Did better than me. Went out to Cannelton friday night and fished from the bank. didnt get a single bite. :embarassed: I need a boat.

3. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I tell you a boat definetly ups your chances...especially at cannelton! I just bought mine back in october and I have increased my catch 200%. I have also increased my wifes irritation level! lol

4. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Me and my cousin took my boat and went to cannelton sat evening.We used fresh bluegills for bait fished for three hours made several drifts and anchored a few times with no luck.:sad2:

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    we got a tourny in henderson april 19th and then we will be back to hawesville/cannelton dam in may. anyone want to make it?

6. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I would like some info. on the tourny in May at Cannelton. I fish this area some but have never fished a tourny. Thanks

7. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    $50 per boat

$10 per boat big fish pot (optional)

2 people per boat unless under 16 or over 65

6 rods only in the water allow 10 in boat

No stringers

Must have livewell or some way to keep fish alive but you

Can weigh fish in at any time during the tourney and keep fishing

5 fish limit all fish must be from rod and reel.

Fish must be alive and swim off after the weigh in

No locking thru dams

No chumming

No getting out of the boat not even to get bait.

Cannot go past the restricted markings at the dam

Cannot fish within 100 ft of an anchored boat

A list of rules will be given to everyone at the tourney

Will pay 3 places in this tourney
    no alcohol

STARTING TIME 6:00 =AM ENDS AT 3:00 PM MUST BE THERE BY 3
    RULE WILL BE GAVE OUT THERE FOR ANY CHANGES

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The only thing I have caught so far fishing this year has been a cold!! :confused2:

I've got me a new fishing partner (with a boat) I am going to try to talk him into trying this. As always, I am ready to try something new. Fishing has been really bad for me so far, but there is always tomorrow.

Linda

9. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Some wise o'l bastard once said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work, and brother/sister I am here to tell ya "AMEN!" That fella was a down right genius and should be president!

10. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    The author of this quote is smarter than most politicians!

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    was down there yesterday morning and cought one spoonbill and landed one of 3 bighead carp. the spoon was around 15 lbs and the bighead was in the 50's. we also went back this afternoon and cought two flat heads one was about 12 lbs and the other 5 or 6 lbs I'd say.I will be going a lot here for the next few weeks, if anyone is entersted in fishing down there give me a shout mabey meet up down there or close by.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    yeah i think i might be interested......

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the trip and for finding the bait. That is always a good trip

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    plan on going down there in the morning. looks like the river will be about 4 foot shy of the top of the wall from their water level prediction for in the morning. she should be rolling prety good. Keith I gave ya a call haller back I though you said you was off but I still dont know the best time to get a hold of ya.

15. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I went this morning and ended up with two flatheads and one spoon and two small bighead carp.
    Flats were about 12 and 8 Lbs
    Spoon was around 12 as well
    Both carp were in the low 20's I'd say
    And I had a few hooked I could not do anything with(I would say that they were bighead carp as well)

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    were u snagging the carp and spoon bill?

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Adam I was not there snagging but I did foul hook the spoon and carp wile fishing for the flats and stripes.

18. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Looking to head to cannelton this weekend(sat) and I am looking for the most current info. I know the water level but how is the color and out flow? Is the dam pushing hard and how many gates are open? Is it worth the gas to drive out there or I am I better off staying closer to home? With the river warming up has anyone got into any skips yet?

JOHN