Canned spray foam

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by randallewis, Apr 2, 2008.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    How much will a can of spray foam expand? I was thinking of filling my john boat seats

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im sure there will be someone here that can help you

3. Kajun77

Kajun77 New Member

State:
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    I remember reading that one 16oz can of spray foam will expaned to about 3.5 cubic feet of foam.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    would it really make a huge diffrence using poured foam rather than spray foam? would spray foam do they same thing?

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    no ......... that spray foam isn't gonna give the floation factor u need in a boat .............. buy the two part stuff made for floation ...................

6. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Whats that and where do I find it?

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The coach is right. That hardware store foam is for insulation, not flotation. The marine foam is very expensive and you may just want to go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some thick sections of starfoam and glue it under your jon boat seats. If your sure you want the marine foam, try here....

http://www.jgreer.com/Foam Page.htm

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you pour foam be careful pouring.
    Pour a little at the time and let it expand.
    Reason being, that stuff will blow a boat apart. It has to have room to expand. If it doesn't Katy bar the door because something IS GOING TO GIVE and it wont be the foam.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I can attest to that, lol. Luckily it was something much cheaper than a boat.:smile2:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good post and replys. Thanks i'm interested in using some in the near future myself. I have the floor board of a cajun bass boat out as we speak. In the sides it just has dense flotation foam blocks slid in it. The floor looks to have been poured at the factory between the stringers.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Those blocks in the side are to hopefully make the boat stay upright instead of rolling when swamped.:wink:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm gonna stuff all i can into it and install a new floor and freshen up the carpet. plan is to sell it and the 150 yamaha on it and buy an alum. boat i can afford fuel for.

14. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    When using two part foam or the spray can foam. The hotter the temp. the more it will expand. Summer time in the heat of the day is when you will get the best results, most expansion! And if it starts to get out of hand spray it with water in a spray bottle. That will almost stop it from expanding.
    ~Teddy

15. Orlando

Orlando New Member

State:
    kansas
    Would this foam work to insulate the outside of my livewell - it is plastic - Crestliner Fish Hawk?
    Thanks!

16. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    With regards to expansion of the shoot-n-foam. There are different formulations for less expansion, medium and lots of expansion. Yes, it will insulate your livewell as long as it isn't exposed to sunlight. Sunlight will cause it to decompose.