Canned Herring

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kat in the hat, Feb 10, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm a meat cutter at a grocery store, and we sell little jars of herring tastee bites. We always have leftovers as they are not very popular. A couple of people eat them, so we keep them in stock. Has anyone ever tried using these for bait? I've alway wondered if they work. I'm gonna try some this summer. Just wondered if any of you already have.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure, but it wont hurt to try.

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sounds like a plan to me. Let us know how they work. You just might discover one of those magic baits that happen sometimes when a new item is introduced that the fish haven't gotten used to.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've had pickled herring before.
    It sometimes comes in little jars.
    Don't think the pickled stuff would work.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Matt, hehe, I'm one of those 'couple of people' that eat canned herring. I'm sure that channels, at least, would like it. But you'd have to puree the herring in a blender and mix with flour or wheaties or some other kind of binder, wouldn't you? I use canned sardines (I eat them too) in a similar way in my doughball recipe.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Larry, how does that dough bait work for you? Do you use salted or unsalted ones. I haven't used dough baits, but I'm a bread baker so I always have day old bread and bread crumbs on hand. If you are willing to share your recipe I'd like to give it a try.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Her ya go Jim:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36205

The dough bait works great as a dependable staple, especially for trotlining. Bear in mind that this has, and still is evolving, and at one time the 'brown stuff' and 'green stuff' were basically recipes for two seperate dough baits. As stated in this post, IMO, nothing beats live bait in it's season.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Jim, with you being a baker I'd be very interested in any ideas/feedback/ suggestions from you that might improve upon this recipe in any way.

You may also be interested in this thead:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39058 ; ShilohRed is an experienced doughbait maker and gives some good tips.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    If the consistancy of the canned herring is too soft to use alone, Has any one tried the salted herring that they sell in a vacumm sealed bag? I was thinking about this the other day when i was at the store. I've never eaten it, but it felt like it could work as cut bait?

10. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If they stay on a hook it will work smaller channels and blues will eat anything in the water

11. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Larry, First of all thank you for the recipe. I'll try it or some variation of it this season and let you know how it went. I intend to try different breads for making the dough balls. I've got an idea for a basic dumpling that will definitely stay on a hook and you can add any malodorous attractant you like. Start with 1 quart (2lbs.) water, bring to a boil. In a mixer (you don't want to mix this by hand) or a bowl if using a hand mixer put 1# of white flour and 1# of semolina (you can find this at Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or other specialty stores and its not expensive) slowly add boiling water to other ingredients mixing on low speed. Mix for @4 minutes. This "bouille" will be very pasty and Hot, any other ingredients should be added before the mixture cools off. If left unwrapped it will become hard and crusty. wrap it well and refrigerate before using. Good Luck.

12. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    ive used it bought it not thinking that anything would eat it but had a couple bites on it could have been anything in the missouri river but im gonna try it out again this year

13. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jay, welcome to the BOC. The fish in your profile picture looks like it could eat you. lol.