Cannas

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by postbeetle, Nov 2, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have a farmer friend who got crippled up about the same time as me a coupla years ago. He farmed about 4,000 acres, had 200 stock cows and raised feeder cattle. He went nuts from boredom. Always had cannas around his farm buildings, so he decided he would expand the numbers. Last fall he dug 40 bushels of cannas. Nancy and I helped him dig them. About the 20th bushel I told him he had enough. but Nooooooo! he is the kind of guy who can't see anything going to waste so we dug them all. He conned me into taking 4 bushel which we kept through the winter and I planted this spring. Of the 4 bushel I planted only one bushel. (Don't tell him). Weather is changing here, ice on the waterers this morning and supposed to be real cold next week. So I dug the cannas. Got 4 bushel. Does anyone out there need about 3 3/4 bushels of cannas. The way my back feels today you can have all 4 bushel. My buddy hired a high school kid to dig his. He is at 60 bushel. I wish they were worth the price of oil now.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Hmmmm...Thats alot of Canna. I wouldnt mind a 1/2 dozen or so but I only have a small yard.

3. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    cannas are a pretty ornamental what color do a have? my mother has several on her farm red and orange ones :roll_eyes:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i raise my cannas in my goldfish pond.i keep them in clay pots and ever winter i take them out dry them and store in barn in sawdust.in the spring we have a master gardener get togather and i sell 2/3rds of my cannas from the year before and give the money to the home for the handicaped here.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tom, they are all reds. he can't seem to keep any other colors or they revert.

Pits. Tried to sell em for years. Older people would buy them cause they were familiar to them. Now, like everything els, people are lazy. Older people dying off, younger people just go to the store in the spring and buy a few new ones. Same with glads.