Canine care. If it is good for a dog. Post it.

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by peewee williams, Oct 15, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All things and methods change with time.What do you use for flies,fleas and ticks.How do you use them.What works.What don;t.What wormers,dosage rates and methods are YOU using today and for what kind of worms.Also success rate.Any ideas you like for dogs?This is important to all dog owners of all types and we can help each other and our dogs by sharing info.here.We don;t even have to like each other.Just dogs.Thanks,peewee-williams

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Frontline for flees and ticks, about once a month for water dogs. My vet supplys me with liquid wormer, it is actualy horse wormer and is the best I ever used on dogs. Daily work outs and training keeps them in shape and ready for hunting season. As for the winter time a clean dog house with some wood chips or straw and the door facing the East or South, and a heavey plastic swinging door to keep the cold out.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Frontline for flees and ticks.Interseptor for Heart,hook,and round worms. And We feed Major(English Springer)Nutro max,it is a lamb and chicken,rice base with vitamins,it has no by-products in it.It's sorta expensive $25.99 for a #35 pound bag but he just loves it and his coat is so shinny and there is a lot less dog dung to clean up after, as his system utilizatizes more fo the food. J.D.Oh,Ya! One more thing Major dosen't Know he is a Dog, Man have I spoiled that rascal. J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I have tried many methods for controlling fleas, worms, and other pests over the years. For the last three years, I have been giving my dogs Sentinel. It is very effective, and also quite simple. In a one once-a-month oral tablet, I am controlling fleas, heartworms, and intestinal worms. This product is a combination of Program (Lufenuron, for fleas) and Interceptor (Milbemycin Oxime, for heartworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworms). I have had extremely good success with Sentinel. Dogs can develop a tolerance for almost any flea product after a while. It has been necessary for me to "change up" in the past. So far, no problems whatsoever with this particular one. I've used many topical medications for fleas, but I find these to be messy, especially if your dogs don't want to be still. (Sometimes mine do not :roll_eyes:.) Also, during the summer months my canines swim quite often. Several of the topicals SAY waterproof, but you can't prove that by my experiences. They just don't seem to last as long as advertised. Since Sentinel is an oral tablet, it works from the bloodstream - inside out. Almost any GOOD pest control product is expensive. The best deal I have found on Sentinel is through the Drs.Foster and Smith Catalog. My vet will match their price, so I don't have to do the mail-order thing or pay shipping charges. I would also recommend Jeffers Veterinary Supply. Both of these companies have a website, so log on and check 'em out. Some of the items offered WILL require a prescription from your vet, especially heartworm medications. A dog must be certified heartworm free in order to administer them, or it is life-threatening. I also order all my vaccines from these companies, and give the shots myself (except rabies, which is illegal in most states). This saves mucho dollars in the long run. The price my local vet charges for the same vaccinations is at least FOUR TIMES the price I pay. For pests in the yard/dog lot, I use a combination of Sevin Dust and lime, which I apply with a spreader. I keep the dogs out of these areas for twenty-four hours after application. Between the Sentinel and this land treatment, I have had no problems with those pesky critters in a long, long while :smile2:.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks Peewee. I've been wondering how folks keep their outside dogs warm in the winter. I've got a pit bull mix, about 78lbs that I have to keep on a steel cable, (can't afford or have a fenced yard). I taken the playfort from when boy was a boy, cut the uprights off it to make Fort Cisco. He's on good treated lumber six inches off the ground with a tarp roof. On one side put the king size dogloo. Put straw all in the inside of the wood flooring and also in the dogloo. Seems like he still has a hard time in the winter. During the day I bring him in the garage, but it's not heated either.
    Anyone have any not too expensive ideas. I didn't mean to have a dog, but my sister had him on the way to the pound after he chewed up the table leg to her dining room chair when he was a pup, and even a mix pit bull doesn't get adopted except for creeps who fight them...he's never showed any aggression to any child or woman, but any strange man...that's why the steel cable...phone repair, cable tv, meter reader all hate him. All my neighbors like he's there. He's fat from all the treats.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    sounds like you guys know A LOT about this...
    this is just a tid bit, but every once in a while I'll get my dog an egg, and that keeps his coat looking white and shiny
    (hes a maltese)
    Also use denta-bones a lot to keep his teeth clean and white(and helps with breath)
    -Chris

7. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Chris, I also use beef livers for there coat and for treats, just fry it up like you are cooking it for yourself, except without the salt and pepper!:lol:

Also if any of you are considering, the underground fencing to keep your dogs in your yard, they work very good are not that expensive. I have been installing them in my spare time for about 4 yrs now. If anyone needs any advice on them, let me know, I have installed about 15,000 ft./yr for the last 3 yrs, and have done about 20,000 ft so far this yr. I have done it for dogs as small as a Bichon, up to a St Bernard.

8. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    OK! I'm going to stir up a hornets nest............

Raw eggs, raw liver........Check with your vet........dogs can't assimilate the compounds in a "raw" egg. Raw liver can and if fed enough will cause iron poisoning.........different dogs react different to the amount........If your vet tells you any different find another vet...........

Years ago, late 60s early 70 there wasn't the knowledge we have about nutrition we have today and I killed a very promising young chocolate lab following what we now now to be false advice..... Consult a vet that actually handles the type of dog you own.........Lap dog or hunting dog, they are different. One mistake like this in a life time is enough...........

9. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Stan, I hope to meet up with you tonight or sometime on CHAT. MJ got out again yesterday and tried to run for the border(several houses down). Thank goodness that someone was outside with their little kids, or she would probably still be running. She's driving me nuts.

As for the flea/worm medicines. I have Jane on interceptor for worms and a Vet's assistant once told me a way of saving money on K-9 Advantix. Jane is about 13 lbs. I get a dosage for a 55+lb dog. I use a syringe and measure out what I need for her. I put the cap back on the tube and remove the needle from the syringe, then run it down her back. I wash the syringe and use it for next time. This way I can get 4 months for the price of 1 month. It's saving me a fortune. Of course you have to know what the dosage is for the weight of your dog. But that's easy to figure. I know that this may seem like a lot of work to some, but when I can pay about $60 per year instead of $240, I think it's worth it.

Tanya, I researched using Sentinel on Jane, but it didn't cover everything that I need. We have a BIG problem with mosquitos around here, so I was a little leary of switching. But I might do some more looking into it. Thanks.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had to put my beloved Thaddeus down.Yes I am still grieving and it hits me at unexpected times and I just burst into tears.He was my baby,born in my lap and I truly don't know if I'll ever get over it. We had to put him down the hard way and stupid me I thought since he was my dog I had to go along with my husband.Don't ask me why,I just felt like I'd helped him with his entrance into the world and it was my duty to go all the way to the end of the road with him.But I used Frontline on him for fleas and it always worked and my vet gave me a candy soft chew for heart worms cause we have a major problem with mosquitoes in spring and summer especially if we have a wet spring.Man they come out in droves.I always gave him an egg in his Purina Chow of a morning.He was my sweetheart.I miss him very much! I am planning on Lord Willing getting a rare White Golden Retriever 14 week old male puppy so as to help take my mind off of Thaddeus.Hope it helps.Lots of people probably think its dumb and stupid but I can't help how I feel.I have always been a huge dog lover.I never keep my dog outside.Too cold in Winter and too hot in summer.My dog is with me.They are a part of my family.
    Well gotta go gettin all choked up so it's time I stop.Ya all have a good evenin and if it's cold where you're at stay warm folks! It's 38 degree's here at 7:30PM--------Pat:sad2:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    We give Princess our MIN PINN Heartgaurd for Heart worms and Frontline For Fleas and Ticks. have ever since she was a a yr old .She is now almost 9 yrs old.If I''m out with her at the river camp and outside very long I spray her down with OFF. Seems to work and doesn't seem to hurt her any. For the front line and the Heartgaurd its right at $19.00 per mo. to me it's worth it.

12. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John, I agree, I always cook the liver first fried well done!

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Kelli, you need to use whatever works the best for your dog. What is it that worries you about the mosquitoes, just that she's going to be bitten and itchy? My dogs all have long hair, so it's difficult for the mosquitoes to find a place to bite them. Most of their skin is well-covered. We have a lot of mosquitoes around here too, but the Sentinel protects against heartworms, which is the main problem for canines from mosquitoes. Are you worried about West Nile or something? I haven't heard of a dog having West Nile, at least not in my area. I have used several topicals that "claimed" they would repel/kill mosquitoes, but they just weren't effective. Again, this may be because my dogs swim a lot during mosquito season. I don't normally see them scratching or in any discomfort, so since the heartworm threat is taken care of, I don't mind if they get bitten occasionally. Heck, even humans have to deal with it! :smile2:

14. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga

Actually they can, a veterinarian told me to do it. And as for it being raw, dogs have one of the strongest know natural anti-bacterials in their saliva. Thanks for the warning tho...

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    First thing I would do, is either insulate the under side of that lumber *(the 6 inches of space)* or drop it all the way to the ground. When air gets underneath it keeps the floor cold, hard for a dog to get warm laying on a cold floor. Replace the tarp roof with wood and enclose the "fort" so that there is only a door in/out. You've seen the horse stalls with the half doors? I'd do that to the fort and close off the top half except when YOU need in there. At that point, the dogloo would be there just for comfort and not to stay out of the rain. I would cut a hole in the top of it about the size of a portable aluminium round lamp. Mount that with a heat lamp in it above the hole where your dog can't reach it. That will give him the added warmth in the dogloo to stay warm.

16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Have tried Advantix and Frontline. In my opinion Frontline wins hands down. Tried Advantix and did not like the results. Asked vet about getting money back on unused portion. She said I would have to contact the company that made it. I did and the call taker got a good laugh when I told her I worked for the same company just another division. I did get my money back.

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Tanya, sorry I haven't gotten back. With 4 BOC members in the house, it's hard to fight for the computer.

I typed mosquitoes, but I meant to say ticks. Had one of those days.:tounge_out:
    I noticed that sentinel didn't cover ticks. Do you know of anything else that might cover fleas, ticks and worms? You should see her in her little sweater. I'll try and get a pic for you. She loves it. Can't wait till Halloween. She was Snow White last year. I always hated people who dressed their dogs up and talked to them like kids. Oops, Vern and I have lost it.

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks everyone.Keep the good news coming as you live and learn.Working,hunting,service,pets or lap dogs.We not only are saving the lives of our pets,we are helping each other do the same.Agree or disagree.Knowledge is the key.The more we have,the better decisions we can make.We have members who live and travel all over the USA and the earth.They see intense cold to severe heat.You don;t have to have a dog.If you have seen or think that you know something that may help,please share it.That is what the BOC is all about.Thanks again.peewee

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Gary,
    You might consider something like this http://www.gundogsupply.com/k9kodoghowib.html

THe barrel dog houses are very comfortable and very warm for Your four legged friend. in the winter You'll have a hard time getting him out of it!!!

the dogloo and fort might just be too big for his body heat to warm it up! for staying warm the tighter the quarters the better. just give the dog enough room to be able to turn around and lie down.

20. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I figured all of these northern people on here would have better answers for your situation than a person with South Eastern USA experience.A barrel facing South east and stuffed "full" of clean Pine Straw or hay seems adequate down here for short haired dogs.You have to keep adding to it as most dogs will tunnel up in it.Once they do,they have a nice insulated hole to their satisfaction to sleep in when they wish.This seems to work for Chihuahuas to great Danes as the Great Dane that I once had preferred the barrel to the 6 foot square house stuffed full of hay.Now my pet mini Pigs & Hogs that I once had loved to pile up in this same house of straw or hay in cold weather.My wifes 34 inch stud Jackass would grow his long hairy winter coat and mostly stay outside even though he had a custom built stable and manger with a large window to get into out of the weather.The Jackass,A Sheltie and a Siberian Husky That I have had at different times all seemed to prefer laying down on the outside in freezing rain,sleet and snow,which we get only a little of.They all had good shelter.The Siberian Husky loved to sleep in the snow and play in the streams of East Tennessee when we visited in the winter.Once even at 7 degrees and the wind blowing,he would not sleep in the house or dog house.My wife had little mini Pekingese dogs for years that seemed to prefer the cold of outdoors to a heated house.I was always satisfied if the animal was.I have been cold,wet and hungry with no place to sleep or get out of the weather.I sort of have a thing about a critter having a place to crawl up in to and something to eat and drink.Also.A open top drum rolled up into and hidden in the woods was a great winter sleeping place for a boy and his dog.Wasn;t bad in the summer when it rained.A truck load of new empty drums with lids once turned over close to the house.The men that cleaned it up were not interested in fighting a bad Brier patch on a cold winter day.I had 5 of these hauled by boat stashed and supplied on the banks of the Santee.With the lids,they kept my stuff dry and the critters out.I could even store meal and flour in Mayonnaise jars.Did you know that Blue plate Mayonnaise does not have to be refrigerated?Now it will get rancid with enough time.I also stayed in hollow trees and logs and under a tarp.