Caney River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by JEEPER, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I went fishing for catfish on the caney river on my buddys place last night with a pole and only had cut shade from the freezer and did not get 1 bite. My son used a punch bait and no bite.
    What bait would you use. Feel free to open up on how you would fish this River. Thanks

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that's flathead country river, get some fresh live perch, and or some fresh shad cut perch, what part of the river where you on? and where?

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Copan and Hulah lakes that feed the Caney have been above nornal pool for a long time with all the rain. They have been letting out a ton of water for quite a while. The Blues and Channels will be heading upsteam as far as they can go to find good nesting area's to spawn. The catfish will be looking to get out of the current in creeks, eddy's and the such.

4. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    I've been dying to fish the Caney around Collinsville, but hadn't had a chance to. Now that the water has gone down and it is a little more fishable I plan on hitting it sometime this week. I'd be curious to hear how you fare fishing. Post a report and let me know!

5. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My buddys land is about a mile north of vera road. My buddy said the river is still up about 6 feet or more. Like I said I went last night and had cut shade and tight lined it and my son was using a punch bait but no luck. T he river is still moving at a good speed.
    I would like to ask a crazy Q. Is the speed of the water on top the same as the bottom.

6. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Jeeper,
    The water speed is going to be slower on the bottom and along the banks. Drag from obstructions and curve of the river will make the middle layer of water and top fastest.

We fished the Caney near C'ville once and caught a nice flattie with bank line. Only time we've done it.

Q

7. jugginhunter

jugginhunter New Member

State:
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    Same here creeper

8. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    These and 9 more on the Caney Sunday with pole and about 4 hours to play.

Fishing 09 002.jpg

Fishing 09 004.jpg

Fishing 09 006.jpg

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish the Caney by the Kansas/Oklahoma border. My choice of bait is Live perch.