Caney River in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcentral, Apr 21, 2006.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I really can't believe I haven't started a thread before on the Caney River. The darn things flows right though town and is only a few minutes from my house. The main thing that does stop most people from fishing the Caney is access to the river. This is one of those steep banked rivers, with very little public access. There's not a single boat ramp anywhere the Caney river is located but there's a couple of places you can drag a small jon or canoe and put in and enjoy the river. The main access that most people use is the low water dam located by Johnstone Park. The river above the low water dam is fairly deep in many places and can be navagated for quite a distance.

The Caney River is actually two seperate rivers that join just North of Bartlesville. The Caney River starts fifty miles or so up in Kansas and feeds Hulah Lake. The Little Caney River is a seperate river that feeds Copan Lake and the two rivers merge just North of Dewey, OK. The Caney now runs though Bartlesville and all the way though Washington County and dumps in the Verdigris just below Oolagah.

Now in the spring time when there letting water out of both Hulah and Copan all the fish that live between the low water dam in town migrate to both dams. The amount of flatheads between 20 and 70 pounds that have been caught in the springtime over the years is amazing. Since access to the river is pretty limited the quanity of flatheads and blues also stays pretty abundant thoughout the year. The main problem with the Caney is either there's not much current flowing making the turtles and gar easy pickins for your bait or the river is flowing too hard to take a small boat out there safely.

Anyways in order to conserve fuel I'm will be dragging the Canoe to the Caney and fishing for some big flatheads. Hopefully I'll have some pics of some nice fish to share in the next few months. Here are a few pics on the river today.

Attached Files:

2. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Here are a few other pics from today. There's a very nice logjam at one of the railroad bridges just up the river. It's been there forever and I know holds fish. The other picture is kind of neat. When the town of Bartlesville was founded this was one of the first businesses in town. The Bartles mill named after Frank Bartles (owner) and namesake for our town. This is the remains of the old mill that was located on the river. If I can find some old pics of the mill I'll post them also so you can see the now and then.

Attached Files:

3. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Oops, My mistake Jacob Bartles not Frank. I need to keep my history correct.

4. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    So the place to put in is out in bartilsville

5. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yep, it runs a couple of miles from my house, never have found anywhere to fish it except for under bridges but I have never went out and gave it a whirl

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I caught this guy at the log jam today. It's been awhile since I harvested a flathead so he will be dinner. :)

Attached Files:

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

8. TeamPunishment

TeamPunishment New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice flatty! I went on the verdigris down below Oologah dam last night from about 9:15 til 12 and didnt catch anything, i was just hoping there was a few flatties still there but IDK if there are. WE NEED SOME RAIN AND WATER FLOW!:crying:

9. okiehillbilly

okiehillbilly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cool. I fish the caney too

10. okiehillbilly

okiehillbilly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cool I fish the caney too

11. okiehillbilly

okiehillbilly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sweetnessa;sliduf

12. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    never fished it looks good , nice fish . great pix . what about any out of the way places to camp out of a boat on river ?

13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

Jeff,

The majority of the blues that are in the Caney river have come from Copan and Hulah lakes. I personally have never caught a blue over ten pounds out of the Caney. I heard of 40 and 50 pounders caught below the dam but I haven't seen one. I'm sure there maybe but sometime fisherman can tell stories. Now big flatheads yes there in there. My personal best from the caney was 38 pounds on rod and reel below Copan. I've seen them as big as 70 pounds taken below the dam. The river is slow and not condusive for big blues but the flatheads love the slow muddy river.
    Blues coming in from the Navagation Channel I'm sure happen every once in a while but the Verdigris becomes shallow just above the Port of Catossa. The shallow riffles in the spring are only a foot deep at best. There needs to be a lot of water being released from Oolagah and Copan/Hulah lakes to get the blues up into the Caney from the Navagation Channel. Also the low water dam in Bartlesville isn't the only low water dam on the Caney. I believe there is one in Ramona and possible another one. Now we do have floods from time to time on the Caney where a few blues might be able to get up the low water dams but not that often. The Caney is a small, steep banked river. The really only public access is via bridges on our highway and roads. The rest is all private land. Now if your lucky enough to own land on the Caney....well it's flathead heaven. The turtles and gar are your biggest problems since the water in the Caney most of the time is Slow.

That flathead was 22 pounds and took a 6 inch crappie taken early morning. I caught four other blues from 1 to 4 pounds. There's channel cats in there also but it sure seems the blues have taken over our waters. When I catfish it seems I catch 9 blues to ever 1 channel. The channel I think are being eaten by the blues our there's just too many dang small 2 to 8 pound blues in our Oklahoma waters.

14. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

No real places to camp or take any real boat of size in the Caney. Since pretty much all land the comes up to the Caney is private you need to access by any public highway bridge or city park in my case. The river is public but you can cross private land to access without premission.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice fish Chris, sure gives a fellow the urge to go get some perch and give the river a go!!

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Thanks,
    I ready to hit the Caney again soon. I caught about 30 perch today and hope to hit the Caney tomorrow or Wed. We got quite a bit of rain today and it's still raining. This can only help the fishing.:)

17. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris,

You've been catching several nice fish. We went to an artifact show in Pryor last weekend. Passed a fishing tournament in Skiatook Lake. The lake was packed and boats were everywhere. The lake looked pretty low.
    Kaw is getting quite a bit of inflow so the fishing should pick up considerably. Maybe we will get some riverflow below the dam and get to catfish soon.

18. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Nice fish! I'm jealous now

19. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I fished the Caney last night and it was pretty slow. I ended up catching five blues with the biggest one at 5.5 pounds. I also caught one flathead at only 4 pounds. The rain that we recieved last week did get the current going on the Caney for awhile. This may have pushed them farther up river. I took the canoe about 2 miles upstream last night. I might try later this weekend and see how good a shape I'm in at try five or six miles upstream.

20. dobbie

dobbie Member

There used to be a good place to launch a boat where Butler creek runs into the Caney in Oak Park.Its right next to the bridge and I think the state owns it.There is an old metal dock 300 yards up stream from the mouth of the creek.We used to fish from Butler creek all the way to the bridge west of Dewey.Your best bet on the Caney is to find a Friendly land owner who will let you leave a small boat on his land.