Canepole and a can of worms

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by willisjj, Oct 27, 2005.

1. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I ran across some canepoles on Ebay today and just wondered if any of you still use or even have one these days? It easy to get caught up in the newest technology and pricey reels and stuff but seeing those canepoles sure brought back a lot of memories. That was what I caught my very first fish with and back then you could get canepoles at Wal-Mart with line hook and bobber ready to fish. My grandma would take me up around the barn with the shovel and we would fill a coffee can with worms and head down to the creek or the pond and spend the day. You can't hardly beat that in my opinion and I laugh to think about what it takes for my family to go fishing nowadays. We usually end up taking 6 different kind of baits, half a dozen chairs, two or three tackleboxes, 15 rods and I could go on, but you get the point. My kids probably don't even know what a canepole looks like although they have used a switch and some line and a hook when they didn't feel like messing with their reel. I am thinking I may pick up a couple of these cane poles and go dig some worms and take the kids out for an enjoyable stress free day of fishing, the way it used to be.

2. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    We would purchase a cane pole and would make the setup ourselves. You could get a 16ft. pole for $3-5 dollars and the line, bobber, shot lead, swivel and hook. As far as worms would go, if were able to get a can from a vendor or if you had to find a creek and dig them, it was OK. In the early 60s, we were known to travel up to 3 hours one way to go. At that point the Pearl River was the primary water of any size around. We would travel up to the Delta and fish Eagle, Broad and Dump lakes. We also went the Grenada and Enid Dams resavoirs a couple of times. At that point the cane pole was our primary toll for catching fish. We would by minnows and fish the day before returning home. After the Ross Barnette resavoir was completed, we were able to spend more time closer to home and continued to use the cane pole as our primary fishing tool. Great Memories!!!!!!!!! :) :D

HOPPY4

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    What memories! My Mom used one but she called it a jerk pole. Seen Dad make them from bamboo around here as a child.

4. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    My best on a canepole was 4.25 pound channel cat caught on chicken liver in the Brazos River. Remember the "Calcutta" canes? The bait shop still keeps some for sale but it's not like the old days when you'd see cars headed for the lake with cane poles tied to the front and back bumpers.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I caught my first fish on a cane pole. My pap-paw had each grand child a pole made up. My grandparents lived on a river and some of the best fishing I can remember. :D :D

6. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I used canepoles when I was young and in the boy scouts. We would by them at camp and fish with them the whole trip. i even got my fishing merit badge on one. You had to catch 3 diff species of fish and i caught a blue gill largemouth and a small carp on one within a couple hours.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good stuff........ I also remember using them when we were kids. I used to jerk to hard and that ol' bobber and hook would fly backwards out of the water and my Granddad would rebait me and off I'd go jerking again........ I even caught a few with it..... Thanks for the reminder, that was great....

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my wife and i used cane poles for years before we could afford a reel and rod. caught night crawlers in the park and kept them in the refrigerator. when my wife caught one she generally would throw it pole and all as far back on the bank as possible. still laugh occasionally at the thought of wadiing around in the weeds trying to find her fish.

9. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Cheryl Dear,
    Here in Arkansas Cane poles are still common, but they are the same as Bamboo, just a different name. Po' folks fly rods...

10. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I still use fiberglass "cane poles" to crappie fish with. It still is one of the most effective ways to catch crappie. And, as any crappie fisherman knows, you are just as likely to catch a cat while crappie fishing. Man, you talk about fun, just get a 2-5 pound channel on one of these poles.
    I have caught up to 14 pound channels on my regular 12' crappie poles. They are nothing but fiberglass cane poles with line holders on them. They are a lot of fun and it is a fairly effective way to catch channels. But, with the light rigs, some big ones do get away.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Man.... What memories! I cut my teeth on them cane poles. I liked those real long ones that you could easily place your bait onder neath an old stump or brush that was a ways from the bank. Caught many crappie with em.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My dad use a cane pole!

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I started out with a cane pole when I was kid, sure does bring back a lot of memories. I cant remember the last time I seen one of those old thin shaped prince albert tobacco cans that was more flat than round, but my grandpa gave me one when I was young to put my worms in and could carry it in the back pocket of my jeans when I went fishing back then. I would always forget to take them out when I got home and Ma would find my can of worms when she went to do the laundry. lol

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I still see them for sale here or could make one. I don't know about a lot of people using them here. Since the sale of the boat, several years ago, I don't go fishing as much and when I do, I TRY to find an uninhabited spot. I've seen people fish with branches or even just a line and hook. No shame in any of it. Fishin is fishin'.

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Years before there was anysuch thing as Wal-Mart we would go to the cane break and cut a fishin' pole.My daddy didn't have any money to pay for what we could get for free.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    When I was much younger I would fish at my grandparents farm pond. Well I only had one pole back then so when I wanted to fish with more I would cut a branch off. The best time I had was fishing for bass with the pole and I tied line to my belt loop and put a bobber on it and caught plenty of gills. Grandpa came back to the pond to check on me and he about fell over when he saw me trying to set the hook with my hips.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Badkarma,

You aint that damn old. If there were no Walmarts, there was a dime store!:glare: Besides, you were lucky,all I got to cut was a switch!:eek:

18. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I am only 32 so I definately had a Wal-Mart, lol. That was fine with me too as I got to cut alot of switches in my time, but they weren't so my Mom could go fishing, lol.

19. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Hey Josh, cane poles are long 10' to 15' pieces of cane or bamboo you use to stillfish with. No reel, just your line tied on the end with a hook and bobber. You throw it out and when you get a bite, just jerk the fish out of the water. Used to be real common and they are fun to fish with. I have seen some real long ones and then I have seen some people just use a stick. Anyway, you get the idea, you ought to give it a try sometime.