cane

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by switchback, Jul 30, 2008.

1. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey guys does anyone out there know when to harvest cane for bank poles and is there any specifics on what im looking for. Thanks Nathan

2. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Nathan, what part of Illinois are you from. I live just a few miles from a guy who has a cane field in his yard, every year he sells quite a bit. He is in Johnston City. I don't know how far you are from there or even if it would be worth it, but hope it helps your search.

3. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am from the wayne city, fairfield areaI dont really know where johnston city is, but thanks for the tip.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    make sure you hang it up with a little weight on the end to pull it nice a straight. I used plain varnish to finish the poles. Good luck with them.:wink: The size is up to you and what you want to fool with. One thing to watch for is those legless lizards, they love to hunt in the stuff.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like fun making your own cane pole, thanks for the interesting post

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Nathan,get on yellowbook.com and look up lanny's guns in mt vernon. he usually has a bunch of cane poles outside his shop and can probably give you the info u need.

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have been to lannys before i live about forty minutes north east of mount vernon, The few times i have been by there this year I havnt seen any but he does usually have stuff that is sometimes hard to find. We go to him for large and extra large shiners. I know where thers a few cane breaks at and can cut for free I was just wandering if anyone had any thing as far as time of year and which ones the ones with a few leaves or the ones that are covered in leaves from top to bottom Thanks all

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    what im saying is that if you call him, he might give you answers to those questions.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Get the ones with the most leaves they will be stronger. Cut them down with a sharp machette at an angle at the bottom at first. If you use a saw they will splinter on you. When you get them home cut them off at the but with a saw near one of the joints. Hang them from a tree or something upside down and put a weight on the ends. Then cover in varnish or polyurothane. Let dry and repeat several times, at least three.

10. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks big muddy for reminding me about lannys