Cane poles

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by orion_xxvx, Apr 24, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    My first rod and reel was a cane pole with a cork float and a rusty worm hook and some kind of cotton cord ...... for bait had to dig in the barn lot for worms under the cow manure. Ahh those were the days!

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Does anyone have memories of what well water tasted like out of an old tin cup. Nothing better on a hot summer day!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not only do I remember what it tastes like, but I remember having to go down to the outhouse to get rid of it when I was through with it. And I've dug a stock well by hand.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's what I call the good old days my family,and I sure do miss em!:sad2:

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Oh yeah I do. We'd stop at a farm on the way back from fishin and get some water. Grandma had a pump in the yard, it was always cold and had a good taste to it. Nice earthy smell. Where I worked when I got outa high school I drank outa the well. When we were kids we drank outa field tile when we were walkin beans. In them days it was still ok to do that. Now days I don't think I would.

Cane poles, that was fishin. Seemed like the best way, but sometimes the fish were just a little farther than it would reach. When I was a younger guy lots of older guys had them tied to the mirrors of the passenger side of the car.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Rob;
    Oooohhh Yes, how do I remember!
    Didn't know just how good I really had it back then! Now, the older I get the more I wish I could go back sometimes! But, I can't, except in GOOD Memories when men were men and the women like them that way, and women were women and the men liked them that way! When I handshake meant more than any legal document or piece of paper and a man's "Word" meant something!! :big_smile:
    Do I remember? Sometimes all too well! To BAD that some of those "Old Time" values got lost in time on the way to "Today"! The World would be a better place if we all would just remember a few of them and apply them to daily life! Of course, this is just my opinion. One of the few freedoms we still have left!
    Going to go before I get too maudlin! Looks like I might have already done so!:sad2::embarassed:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ End of Post ]]]]]