Cane poles

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by catfish slick, May 7, 2009.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Any one out their ever Fish with cane Poles. I brought me a Cane pole back from Texas last year, I cut it off my wife's uncles Place. It's about 12 foot long, I had to tie it to the awning on the side of my trailer to get it home. I can remember when I was a kid growing up, I use to see a lot of folks fishing with cane poles, and I can hardly wait to get this one up to Mendota slew, and fish for Blue gill and crappie. I guess It's just the kid In me. I have been looking for one of the old stile round Cork float and some of that green fishing line like you use to buy at the hardware store are the dime store for 10 are 15 cents. "No Dam Plastic for this project" I don't know if you can even find the stuff anymore. I went to K-mart, Wall-mart, and Big five yesterday looking, and no luck. any help out their thanks.

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Phillip, I do remember the old cork floats. I still use a cane pole for bluegills and crappie. It's a BLAST. Even bigger blast when a channel takes the bait. Now thats a fight. I used to have a 12 ft calcutta cane pole but it finally gave up the ghost on me. You might try looking for an auction that has old fishing gear or maybe try to make-em yourself out of something. You can get flat sheets of cork most places and glue up some sheets and grind into the shape you want. Just a thought. Cane pole are great for fishing in reeds and lilly pads. Can't beatem.

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I agree cane poles are a blast to fish with.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Stan thanks for the help bud. that is just the kind of place I want to use it.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    look in the hobby section of the stores for the floats or at a micheals store. that's where i've found mine.
    gary

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks Gary, that is one store I hadn't thought about.

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i hadn't either until my mom made me take her to one to get stuff for her and i saw them.
    i remember the old cork floats well. also used for halloween. burn end and blacken your face. LOL
    gary

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Maybe I'm tellin stories out of class here but i have been known to pull a cork now and then on a jug and I hear those wine bottle corks work real keen...hic...:confused2:

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some of my folks in the south still uses them for gills at the ponds. I used them there before but never out here. They are fun though. I still see a few of them at bait shops in the south maybe next time I am down there I will get one, or have my mom ship one to me they can be handy in getting your worms in good places for the gills.

10. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thunder-chicken, Hey Man, Thanks for your help. I can tell you are not a wine Drinker. The wine I drink Doesn't use Cork anymore. they use a type of Hard rubber. and I can tell you from my experience, It don't float

11. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I don't know about round floats but we used to use the corks out of my uncles wine bottles. Just cut them in half drill a hole in them and use a little piece of twig to pin the line in the cork.

12. Stockton CatMan

Stockton CatMan Member

State:
    CA
    I you can find the green fishing line at the bait shops or one of the bigger sporting goods store, the ones that specializes in hunting and fishing gear. It comes wrap on a yellow plastic reel. It has a hook and an egg sinker attached. I still has some of those corks you're talking about. The ball shape ones and the old snuff bottle ones. They still sale snuff in bottles with the corks it just might take time to find them

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can get the ball kind and the round with flat ends type at wally world hobby section.ill look around and see if i can find it i have some old line some where.its not green its braided black dacron the first super line.its from the 40s but still brand new never been used.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks guys for the help in finding the old round cork with the green line for my Cane pole. I have not had any luck yet, and we are heading out for the fishhing hole again in the morning. Maybe I will have it ready for the next fishing trip. I am fixing this pole up for my new fishing partner, so I think I still have a little time to get it finished.

Attached Files:

15. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    My earliest fishing memories are fishing with a cane pole, line tied to the tip, a piece of wood for a float. About 1945, Skaggs Bridge. Grandma putting the worm on my hook. Had an attention span of about 5 minutes. :smile2:

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    MAN I HAVE NOT USED A CANE POLE SINCE I WAS KNEE HIGH TO A GRASS HOPPER.I MIGHT GO AND GET THE LITTLE ONE A FEW AND DO SOME PERCH FISHING.THIANKS FOR BRANGING BACK SOME MEMORIES.

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    slick i went out to the barn and serched threw some of my old fishing stuff and i found what you are looking for.if you will pm me your address ill mail it to you.

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    My neighbor recently showed me a modern day cane pole. It was extendable and had the line tied to the tip. When you collapsed it the line wrapped around a metal deal on the side so it was real compact. Kind of neat.

19. Stockton CatMan

Stockton CatMan Member

State:
    CA
    I have several extending poles, I have one that extends to 15'. all of them varies in size. the most popular one you can buy is call the crappie pole. It real thin made to feel the crappies bite. On the green line, I went to a bait shop on my way to bacon island and they had it. so it's still out there

20. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Do to one of the good people on the BOC. my cane pole dilemma has been solved. Good member Poison-pits, Johnnie, Has provided me with just what I was looking for, and at no cost to me. This is the kind of thing that makes the BOC. such a special place. and my hats of to him. thank you Johnnie and if I ever get back to Arkansas, maybe we can fish together.